New Powerspec G358 screen freezes

Shane6868
Shane6868
First Comment
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
I purchased a G358 11/27/20 and the screen freezes on nearly a daily basis requiring a hard reboot. Sometimes it will also hold the note repeating it from the speakers. It will work after the reboot until it freezes again. I have not adjusted any of the default clock speeds and have five items plugged in via USB ports (printer, WiFi antenna, mouse, keyboard and 4TB external hard drive. It will freeze potentially during any activity, but most often while using Filmora video editing software. But probably because that’s the software that is usually being run on it. Are there any in home troubleshoot tips I can try before needing to get it replaced or brought in for service?

Answers

• Shane6868 said:
    I purchased a G358 11/27/20 and the screen freezes on nearly a daily basis requiring a hard reboot. Sometimes it will also hold the note repeating it from the speakers. It will work after the reboot until it freezes again. I have not adjusted any of the default clock speeds and have five items plugged in via USB ports (printer, WiFi antenna, mouse, keyboard and 4TB external hard drive. It will freeze potentially during any activity, but most often while using Filmora video editing software. But probably because that’s the software that is usually being run on it. Are there any in home troubleshoot tips I can try before needing to get it replaced or brought in for service?
    Greetings, I would try a clean install of the video card drivers using the DDU tool and see if that helps out. We have a step-by-step guide on how to do that on our forums here, it is the 2nd post in this thread: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10#latest
  • Turns out the drivers for the graphics adapter weren’t updated and Windows needed an update too. I had assumed they were up to date. I think this will solve the issue. Thanks!
  • I'm having the same problem, and this is right after returning the G507 and upgrading to this G358 because it was crashing as well.
    Already ran the DDU, any other suggestions? 
  • @Pruz
    Does the PC only crash at certain times? Only when gaming or just surfing the web or watching videos? I would monitor the usage and temps of the hardware as well just to make sure its not a hardware or thermal related issue. 
  • It's pretty constant. It's a guarantee when gaming, usually a couple min in. But it could be while just idle or light browsing. It was even crashing while trying to do a clean install of Windows. Thermals never really got above 80-85 at peak.
  • @Pruz At what point in the windows install was it crashing?
    Are you able to see any Critical events in the Event Viewer that may help explain what is failing?
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99