World of Warcraft needs to run better

Options
Starbug
Starbug
First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Hello! I'm a WoW player, and I built out this computer via Microcenter, but I am currently running the came on low settings and I still get - 
1. Extremely long loading times (Opening character screen, starting place, etc.)
2. It generally takes awhile for screens to load (not just the environment, but also maps and pop up screens).
3. Everything has to slowly load - other players, items, etc. Sometimes I can't move until everything loads.
4. It will also get hung up while flying to changing zones, and it seems like it has to reload completely.
5. I will also sometimes see the environment flicker/flash at times while playing.
I clearly need to upgrade something. Is graphics/video card?
What info would you need to determine what I should fix/upgrade?  Thanks!
I have a Intel Core i7-8700K 3.70 Ghz
I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB

Comments

• TS_JosephF
    Options
    Hello @Starbug
    Are you using an SSD in this system? The boot times and load times are going to be a lot longer if you use a standard HDD. Also, How much RAM do you have installed and what speed is it running at? When it gets hung up while flying to changing zones, it could be that you need to add more RAM as well. 
    I will say that running a 1060 with a 8700K is not ideal. With that being said, the flash and flicker that happens when gaming could be caused by your GPU. It could be bottlenecking the system with the CPU you have. You will want a GPU that has at least 6 GB of VRAM or more if you can. 
    Let us know the rest of the specs and we can let you know what you need to upgrade first. 
  • Starbug
    Options
    I have 8 GB of installed RAM. I do have an SSD, but I run WoW on my non SSD Hard Drive (a lot more space). 

• JS_MC
    Options
    Moving your game to your SSD will drastically decrease your load times. That would be my first recommendation, next would be to upgrade your RAM. I'd recommend 16GB of RAM.
    Using your SSD would be the quickest way to get the best performance increase here.
    I'd be happy to discuss this further if you have any other questions or concerns.
  • Starbug
    Options
    Thanks! I would like to maybe expand to more than 16 if possible. Should I bring it by or just order a couple and install them myself? I can't be without my computer for long due to work and school. :)
  • JS_MC
    Options
    RAM is fairly easy to install so, you can either do it yourself or have us do it. It does not typically take a long time to do in our service department. Depending on how busy they are when you arrive in our store, they may be able to do it while you wait. RAM installation costs $19.99.
    I'd recommend coming in to speak with an associate about the specifics. If you're able to either bring in your desktop or bring in the full specifications of your build, that would help them to allow them to make the best recommendation!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99