Overland Park - RTX 3000 series only for full PC builds...not impressed

Options
Golgatha
Golgatha ✭✭
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
While I get that scalping of RTX 3000 series cards is a serious problem, I was in the store yesterday (1/13) and purchased a 5600X CPU and motherboard.  Due to school being Online only for the time being, I've also built 2 fully new systems from new and repurposed parts, and upgraded 2 existing systems in my home.  Further, I've built a couple for friends in the past 6 months.  All that said, it's a bit off putting to see RTX 3070 video cards in stock, and the Sales associates would not allow you to purchase them unless you're building a full system.  In the past 6 months, I've built or upgraded 6 systems.  Perhaps store managers could make an exception for customers who've previously built systems with Micro Center parts, to purchase these cards going forward.  Also, regarding scalping, it's also off-putting to see 10-15% price hikes on these cards to begin with by Micro Center themselves.  I'm personally not impressed to see these business tactics employed; especially so during a shortage of parts and during a pandemic.

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    Hello @Golgatha I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience in our store. I'm not familiar with this just yet, but I'd be happy to look further into this for you. Please expect a DM from me regarding this concern.
    Thank you for sharing this feedback with us.
  • Golgatha
    Golgatha ✭✭
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Options
    LandShark said:
    Hello @Golgatha I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience in our store. I'm not familiar with this just yet, but I'd be happy to look further into this for you. Please expect a DM from me regarding this concern.
    Thank you for sharing this feedback with us.
    I appreciate it.  Worth mentioning, this was not a case of a single associate trying to get extra commissions.  Either several were colluding or this was a management level decision.  A customer directly in front of me in line was sold a 3070 only after he relented and purchased other parts for a full computer.  The Sales associates gave the same news to several people in line in front of me as well. 

My personal situation is I've got 4 computers in the house, which were all upgraded or built within the last 6 months.  We're a PC gaming family (3 Steam accounts, 2 Epic Games, 3 copies of Minecraft, etc.), and I've got two more GTX 1080 cards I'd like to upgrade.  A RTX 3070 would have been a perfect upgrade for either of the remaining two computers I have left to upgrade.  I have been fortunate enough to purchase 2 5600X and 1 5800X CPUs, and a 3070 (for a friend's build), 3080, and 3090 in these past 6 months; all from Micro Center.  I have been very fortunate considering the severe supply issues during the last few months.  I do appreciate Micro Center not doing Online sales of these items, as I probably wouldn't have been able to purchase any of them otherwise.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99