Computer black screen but can move cursor.

Options
So as the title suggests my computer boots into a black screen but I can still move my cursor. My specs are ryzen 5 3600x 3070 32GB ram. I have tried power cycling and I cannot open task manager through the shortcut for some reason. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @August

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community!  It sorta sounds like the system is detecting a second monitor?  How many cables do you have connecting to your monitor and to your graphics card?  
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Hello @August Welcome to the community!
    Do you happen to have multiple monitors plugged in? Try using Windows Key + P shortcut to switch displays.
    Are you able to run file explorer? You can do this by pressing Windows Key + R, then typing "explorer." then pressing OK.
    Did this start recently or did this happen after a recent update?
    It might be worth going to a previous restore point. If the above doesn't solve the issue for you, we can try that!
  • August
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed response, I have two monitors setup and this happened after an update I installed last night.
  • August
    Options
    How would I go to a restore point?
  • JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'd recommend trying Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to reset your graphics driver. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend unplugging one of the monitors to see if that also fixes things.
    If these don't work, please press CTRL+ALT+DEL, on the bottom right you'll see a power button, from here press and hold Shift, right-click the power icon, and select Restart. Continue to hold Shift. Once the computer has restarted, you can release the shift key. You should see a screen with a few options, select "Troubleshoot", then select "Advanced Options", and then select "Go back to the previous version." or "System Restore" depending on what your PC shows. Then follow the remaining steps available.
    Please let us know how this works for you.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99