video cards?

Options
I actually have a few questions. First is this, I have an older desktop in the basement I run an old version of Acad 2000 lite on. It would be lots easier if I had two monitors. The computer is an E Machines EL1950G-42W, I have one vga output and I want to run two HD TVs for monitors. Is there a video card available that 1. won't break the bank, 2. will physically fit into the box, and 3. won't require a new power supply? It looks like parts are hard to find for this computer, so I really need some help on this one.
I also have a couple software questions. I was running the Acad on my new HP with windows 10 on it. It ran fine for about 5 or 6 months, then windows updated at some point and I just get 'autocad lt 2000 fatal error unhandled exception e06d7363h' and the app shuts down, but it functioned perfectly before a windows update. That's why I moved the program to the older computer.
I also started having problems with my student version of Microsoft office suite. When I start one of the apps, I get a 'missing or damaged stlb'(??) file. Not sure what the file is or what happened, but I started having problems with these two programs about the same time. This last error, with the Microsoft software, only happens after the computer boots and only happens once. When the windows fixes the error, all the programs in the suite work fine until you reboot again, then the process repeats.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems with windows 10 and other legacy programs.
thanx everyone for any help you can provide.

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @TRJ

It's certainly possible that the resolution that it's outputting at, outside the OS is out of range for the TV. This should be fine once you boot. We're going to need to connect it to an actual monitor though to fix the resolution, which it sounds like has changed inside the OS.
  • JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Excellent! Glad to hear that @TSMikeW Was able to help you here!

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with in the future!

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    Greetings @TRj

To answer your first question, I don't have any specs on the system and for Autocad I wouldn't recommend a USB adapter. I would add a video card to your system to support multiple monitors.

For your second question. Is this fatal error something that occurs on startup of the program or is it an intermittent crash?

Lastly. Specifically with the error referring to an STLB file, it sounds this error is being caused by another program, either for 3D printing or editing 3D models. Screenshot the exact error message you're getting if possible.
  • TRJ
    Options
    thank you for the response. Yeah, I'm trying to find a video card for it, but being a small and older desktop apparently makes it difficult to find a video card to physically fit into the machine. I need the video card for an old machine to use ACAD on, unless I can get it to work on the new machine.
    On the new computer, the fatal error occurs any time I try to start the ACAD program. When I launch ACAD, I get the error message, then the ACAD shuts down, the computer doesn't crash, just the ACAD program.
    I'm not even sure what the STLB error is, but I will reboot and try to get a screen shot of the error.
    Once I click OK on the error message, windows does kind of 'configuring' and then the Microsoft office will function. I only have to do this once, the first time I try to start any of the office suite after a boot of the machine, after that, they work. Now. if I press Not OK on the error, whichever product of the suite I start will function, but the next time I try to launch one of the office products, I will get the error, and I will get it every time I try to start one of the suite programs until I click OK and let windows do it's thing. This isn't a major problem, but it is a nuisance, and makes me wonder if something else is going on that should be taken care of.
    I don't have a 3D printer, so if some program is trying to access one of those, of course it won't find one.
    I'll get the screen shot posted as soon as I can,
    Thanks again

• TRJ
    Options
    I have a screenshot of the Microsoft error
  • TSTDavey
    Options
    @TRJ just chiming in. Is your windows up to date? If not update your windows and do a office repair from apps and features. Follow the link below to attempt a repair. If the repair doesn't work, there are some tricky tweaks that can be done in your registry. But if you are not familiar with the registry keys, it might be best to have our phone tech support remote in and do the registry office tweaks. You can mess up windows if the wrong registry key is changed or deleted.

Link

https://www.slipstick.com/tutorial/repair-office-outlook-installation/ 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @TRJ

The stdole32.tlb error is generally an error related to having multiple versions of office installed on the same system. The version opening looks pretty dated. 2010 at least, or maybe even 2007. What versions of office are you running?

Here's a question for you involving the Autocad error. Do you store the projects you work on, on an external drive?
  • TRJ
    Options
    It is an old version I bought my daughter when she was in college. I just kept because it works fine for what I need at home. It is Home/Office Suite 2007. I just tried running the repair, which I have done before. The only difference is that it seems to have worked this time, for which I am happy because I have done some work in the registry before, but I don't like doing it.
    I don't use ACAD a lot any more, but it comes in  handy for projects around the house and yard.
    I run only ACAD on the C drive and store all the files there except old stuff which I just store the project files on another drive.
    I am going to try repairing the ACAD to see if works for that.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. Please let us know if that works for you!
  • TRJ
    Options
    Hi again, tried running repair on ACAD, only thing that happened is a 'Fatal Error during installation'. So I'm giving up on trying to get ACAD to run on this machine again. It won't be so bad if I can find something to convert VGA to HDMI, then I can use one of the older computers I have for ACAD. I tried getting one of those adapters that plug into the vga port, but it doesn't work very well. On one computer I couldn't even connect to the monitor (TV), the other I am using on the newest computer I have, but the screen keeps blanking out.
    I dunno if it's a compatibility issue or what, but the vendor offered to give my money back. In the meantime i will try to find something that actually works. Again, thanx for the help
  • JS_MC
    Options
    We do have a VGA to HDMI adapter. Most adapters would be for HDMI to VGA, which doesn't work in reverse, because it requires a bit more to convert analog to digital than it does to go the other way around.
    I'd recommend trying to run the installer in compatibility mode if possible, but it does sound like there be a version incompatibility.
    I hope you're able to get it working for you! Please let me know if you would like to keep testing other things, should you choose not to return it.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @TRJ

My assumption and based on what I saw on their forums. It looks like it's crashing because it can't access your recent files, from the external drive. It is possible, to remove the recent files list from ACAD through the registry. It may very well be a solution for you.
  • TRJ
    Options
    LandShark, I don't know what the problem was, but I did get money back. There were no installers, no firmware, and no software. it's all done with hardware. The point is moot now . Now I'm in panic mode. I think these adapters did something to both desktops. Now it doesn't matter if I use the VGA output or the HDMI adapter, all I get is 'No Signal' on all the monitors/TVs or any PC.  I resurrected an old laptop so I can at least get info. Now I'm gun shy of the adapters and I'd rather try for video cards. I assume you work for MC, are you open? Can I bring in a couple PC'S?
    Once again, thanx
  • TRJ
    Options
    TSMikeW, yeah, I can't do any troubleshooting  now cuz both of my PCs are down, using an older laptop to get info. Looks like those adapters did something to the VGA output ports, which  I hope can be remedied with video cards. When I get something going, I might try to pick up this thread again and just see if we can get the ACAD app to work.
    Thanks again
  • JS_MC
    Options
    You're always welcome to bring your PC's to our service department! We don't require an appointment but you're welcome to set one here: https://www.microcenter.com/site/service/service.aspx Just select the service you're interested in. 
    A display adapter shouldn't have been able to do anything to the computer as a display adapter. It's possible that you may have disabled the display. you can press Windows + P then select "Extend."  
    I'm not sure of your system specifications. I wasn't able to find details of the E Machine EL1950G-42W. Can you confirm that you're plugging the display into the GPU if you have one available. If there is not a dedicated graphics card, I'd ask that you try another display output on the motherboard.
    Let me know if you're able to get an output with this.
  • TRJ
    Options

Hi, I tried using the windows button+p on both computers. It didn't take long to realize I can't press 'Extend' if I can't see any image on the screen. I still tried the key combo anyway.

The older computer (E Machine EL1950G-42W) I still get no signal.

The new computer, 14 months old, is an HP UN43NU6900, and when I tried that, I get a different message. It says 'Not Supported'

Can't believe that, I've been running a VGA monitor on it since I got it, months ago. I think my best bet is to bring 'em in and find out what the heck went wrong.

Another thanx

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @TRJ
    The Input not supported error is interesting, on the newer PC. Do you see the splash screen and loading screen, or no? What adapters are you using exactly?
  • TRJ
    Options
    Hi TSMike, I get no screens, no splash, no loading, no nothing except Not Supported. I know it appears as an un-configured monitor, resolution, or like some hardware error. I would think the temporary VGA monitor senses something is plugged into it. I am not currently using any adapters, just a VGA cable and the D-shell connectors on the computer and monitor. As I am writing something just occurred to me. I have been using a 32" TV that has a VGA input port. Could the VGA output on the PC send a different 'protocol' or something that is not viewed the same as a regular VGA monitor? If it is, how do I set it back so I can use this old VGA until I get everything else sorted out?
  • TRJ
    Options

Hi TSMike, yep you are correct. I connected the old 32" screen and it works fine, then I plugged the new TV into the HDMI port, set the computer up for two screens, then changed the main output to the HDMI port, set the computer for one screen (the HDMI) and now I'm up and runnin'

Thanks a bunch for the help

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99