Availability of new AMD Ryzen 5, 7, and 9 CPU's?

Options
pentiuman
pentiuman
First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
When will we see the wide availability of the new AMD Ryzen 5, 7, and 9 CPU's? I'll probably be looking for the Ryzen 5, 5600X at the Micro Center at Overland Park, KS, but I'm sure many of us around the US are waiting for any 1 of these 3 CPU's. I do not understand the delay - and I don't even care to hear about any alleged reason (from AMD) for the lack of stock - such as unprecedented demand or the pandemic. Because, even though there may be factors out of their control, AMD and retailers could be working much better to provide reliable information about when the stock will be available - regardless of the ongoing issues. Will I be able to come into your Microcenter and buy a new Ryzen CPU of my choice in 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 12+ weeks, or can this still not be estimated? Thank you
PS: Since Intel will be releasing their new line of CPU's soon - codename "Rocketlake", AMD had better hope they're able to get their product out on shelves soon, because Intel is coming up behind them. Enthusiasts in the know may wait several weeks and read the reports before deciding between the 2. Or, after waiting so long, many of us may find that we don't even need to upgrade yet, and thousands of overpriced, overrated, underperforming, untested CPU's will flood the market, and sit on shelves for many, many months, making "2021-The year the CPU Crashed"! Thank you. L. Fisher 1-25-21

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    Hello, @pentiuman Welcome to the community!
    At this time, we don't have an ETA for how soon we'll have a wide availability of the new AMD Ryzen series. I'd recommend keeping an eye on our website. In time, you'll be able to reserve one for you to pick up in the store. If you're able to visit the store directly, I'd recommend doing that. Our associates in the store would be able to assist you with a more detailed answer for how much stock your store has been receiving and how much they expect in the near future.
    I hope this answers your questions and concerns.
  • pentiuman
    Options
    Thanks for your quick answer LandShark - and for not biting me for my attitude. Wanting a faster CPU, I was surprised, confused, then upset when looking on Microcenter's website for the new ones. Despite the considerable time since launch, they weren't showing up while browsing stock limited to my store. I've worked and played w/ PC's for years, but I was not able to get on Microcenter's website and easily see which AMD or Intel CPU's were just released, and which have been out for years. I did not know exact CPU stock #'s (such as the Ryzen 5600X) and you are still selling the old generations - sometimes 2 generations back! Although it's true that one can sort by "CPU Core", the average consumer (or techie not closely following the news) may not know which core is more recent. Yes, you can sometimes click on each individual product and look at it's specifications to learn which generation it is, but the products look so similar.
    Given that the CPU manufacturers do a poor job of differentiating their CPU's and their respective compatibilities, I'm suggesting retailers like Microcenter could assist consumers w/ a better website. Perhaps arrange their products better by the factors of generation (age), and always show out of stock CPU's, and the known new CPU's about to be released within the next few days. Nothing is worse than buying your components, spending days putting it together and getting it configured, then learning either you didn't buy the newest generation CPU, or there's a newer CPU coming out in days! It takes a bit of your pride away and your new system seems a little bit slower than you felt it was before you had the facts. Technology is advancing fast and consumers need help choosing the right components for them. Sometimes that means they want the least expensive solution. Other times that equates to having a system that is small and quiet. And sometimes that means they want the very latest hardware on the market, within the "sweet spot" - as Gordon Ung from Maximum PC Magazine would say. Thank you!
  • Followme
    Options
    LandShark said:
    Hello, @pentiuman Welcome to the community!
    At this time, we don't have an ETA for how soon we'll have a wide availability of the new AMD Ryzen series. I'd recommend keeping an eye on our website. In time, you'll be able to reserve one for you to pick up in the store. If you're able to visit the store directly, I'd recommend doing that. Our associates in the store would be able to assist you with a more detailed answer for how much stock your store has been receiving and how much they expect in the near future.
    I hope this answers your questions and concerns.
    it's impossible to rain check for those new ryzen cpu nor the staff in the store have any information on when they will receive new cpu.   went in the store, all they able to do is provide the date when they most likely receive shipment.  all you can do is arrive 4 hour before store open and pray they may receive new cpu with the shipment.
  • Cheako
    Cheako
    First Comment
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I don't know if this will get deleted, but I got a 5800X by camping DataLover's Discord.  I clicked the link and quickly filled my cart and checked out.  That was like a month ago, I was put on a waiting like at "B&H Photo" and after few weeks things progressed forward.  Now I have a roughly $1k new computer, though it's got old spindly disks and some random AMD GPU I had sitting in a bin from like 5 years ago.

MC, help me out with a ~$700 rt6800xt...  That's my budget, I don't know what you get for a $500 markup and it doesn't mater.  I can wait till like this summer when supply settles out, but for now put up a listing so I can add it to my wishlist.  What u have on your site now is making you look like a corporate enterprise, instead of the local hardware store.  You can have the listing and just never have them go out of "out of stock."
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Hello @Cheako. I'm not sure I fully understand your remark. However, speaking to your comment about the price, Many factors are causing this rise for all companies. With air freight prioritizing Covid vaccines causing increased shipping cost and tariff exemptions expiring, many are experiencing price increases. We will continue to do everything in our power to price them as cheaply as possible for our customers.
    I hope this offers some insight to you.
    Thank you!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99