Additional cooling options for the Powerspec G358

Hi all, I just got the Powerspec G358 and while it's working great so far, the GPU (AMD 5700xt) does seem to be running quite hot at times, like during video editing, even when it's not particularly intensive. I'm wondering, what additional cooling options are there for this particular build?

I'm guessing I could add another fan, but also wondering about water cooling or perhaps even transferring the parts into a bigger chassis with more airflow (not sure if that's feasible at all). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  

Comments

• Hello @callmeishmael and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Are you using any software to determine your GPU's temperatures? If so what are they? The AMD 5700XT can have high temps and I believe AMD has shared the 5700 XT high temps are normal. I can find you a AMD link if need be. Has your system crashed with these high temps as well?
  • callmeishmael
    edited January 2021
    Hi, I have used a few programs to monitor the temp, and no there's never been a crash or anything. It's usually about 80C on the high end, which I know is under the max limit - but will sustaining that for hours on end cause significant damage over time?
  • @callmeishmael the 80 degrees is only when playing a game or video editing correct? When neither are being done, we're assuming the temps are lower. Assuming you are aren't gaming or video editing 100% of the time the powerspec is being used, the temp should balance out depending on how the pc is used over time. Its designed by AMD this way to push out these hot temps. There are ways to attempt to reduce the temps. You can adjust your fan speeds, adding another fan, makes sure the room the computer is in is not at a hot temperature. Just for piece of mind, i'd recommend adding another fan. I wouldn't recommend a GPU water cooler, although you could go with that. Just another expense and potentially another problem if there are issues with installing the cooler. Other Microcenter Admins on this forum may have other thoughts. But this is my input.
  • Yeah only when editing. Thank you for the advice, I'll probably add another fan then!
  • Please let us know if you have any other issues or concerns.  If the Temperatures continue to get higher on the computer please elet us know or bring the system in so we can take a look to see if there is any sort of issue with it.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99