Looking to ditch my 120mm AIO for a Noctua cooler, BUT...

Options
futekina
futekina ✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment
Okay so I'm putting together a gameplan for a pc "rebuild." I really like the case that I got with my current PC and looking inside it seems pretty easy to work with. However, as I was taking a look at the insides I noticed a few things. One is no intake fans on the front (but maybe some places to mount one or 2? Unsure.) the other is that it seems like the setup in this case is: 120 mm AIO with the radiator in the back, and two intakes on the side. I don't see where an exhaust fan might be, but the front is pretty wide open in terms of air flow so maybe the intent is for warm air to come out the front? Thermals have always been fine up to now (7 years!). So at this point the path of least resistance is sticking with some sort of 120 mm AIO and sticking with the current fan setup, unless the lack of front intakes isn't a concern for an air cooler? I'd really like to buy 1 new case fan at most to replace the AIO radiator if necessary. Really not in the mood to buy and install 2 or 3 new case fans.

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    Hello @futekina
    What case are you in now? Is this a prebuilt PC? If so, what is the model number?
    That kind of case fan arrangement sounds okay, as long as there is either positive or negative pressure airflow for the case as a whole. That way there is airflow being forced through the case in some manner that would allow constant airflow over the fins of the cooler.
    I look forward to your reply!
  • futekina
    Options
    It’s a prebuilt Falcon Northwest Talon from 2014. I am unable to find any documentation or diagrams specific to this case, which is very frustrating! Original invoice just says Talon 4.0.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    I would have to agree, there is a  very limited amount of results when searching for the Talon from 2014. I was able to find this review on Digital Trends. It appears there may be two fans stacked in the rear exhaust. Unfortunately, I'm not able to see the front of the case to be certain that you'll be able to connect additional fans, however, it looks like it would accept two 120mm fans based on the shape and case style.
    What kind of upgrades are you making?
    If you're updating the motherboard/CPU/RAM then I would recommend trying to move the fans before you purchase any upgrades. Having at least one intake in the front and an exhaust in the back with the CPU cooler in the middle pushing air to the back would be my recommendation.
    Sorry that I can't provide a more detailed answer here. I wish there was more documentation available for this case.
    I hope this helps!
  • futekina
    Options
    As far as upgrades, I'm planning on eventually doing basically everything but the power supply, but in the immediate future I'm just hunting for a 3060 Ti (haha). The next year (I think) would see me changing everything else out and cooling is the only real question mark for now. For 120mm good fans are optimal I know, but from a budget perspective a new AIO might be good enough here. Would it be possible to take the tower in to my local store and have someone look inside and get input that way?
  • futekina
    Options
    I also should add that I'm planning on keeping the side fans intact, and if the AIO radiator is fitted over a separate exhaust fan I would keep that as well. In that case it would be a matter of whether a front intake could be installed.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a plan! Of course! You could bring your system into our store. Just let our associates know what you're looking to accomplish. I'm certain they would be happy to offer their input!
    The only limiting factors I could see would be the number of fan headers on your motherboard and then the case having mounting points for your additional fan. You can purchase a fan controller hub to allow for additional fans if needed, though, I wouldn't expect it. It seems like the Talon didn't so much use the front for intake as much as it brings in from the side panel to provide the AIO and GPU with fresh air. (A perfectly acceptable method)
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99