System gets bogged down during large file downloads

Options

Hi there I just built a new PC After about 10 years since my last. I’m just a novice. Not a computer expert by any means. It’s a Ryzen 7 3700x with an MSI x570 Tomahawk board. Corsair Ram running at 3200 MHz. Everything is running great, smooth and fast but I’ve noticed when downloading large files the system seems to really get bogged down. The mouse gets choppy while using it. I look in task manager, the CPU can go up to around 26%...Once the download is done, all goes back to normal. Was wondering if anyone has ever come across this issue or something similar. I have 1GB internet speed and I’m downloading files at full speed. Not sure if that’s the issue because some programs like Internet download manager don’t download at full speed and it still gets choppy. I can’t seem to narrow down what’s bogging down the system. I’ve stopped windows defender because I’m Using Total AV antivirus. I stop that as well while downloading.

Sorry forgot to mention:

-MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI

-AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.60GHz

-Corsair DDR4 32 GB Dual 3200mhz

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

WINDOWS 10 home edition on:

Primary drive:

-NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB

61GB used - 869 GB Free

Secondary Drive:

NVMe SSD 970 Evo Plus 1 TB

931 GB Free

i even tried adding the download file to the secondary drive instead  but it made no difference. Everything else works great and super fast like WINRAR unzipping files, creating MKV files etc....just downloading large files.

All I can see which is odd (or maybe that’s normal? - I’m not sure) is that my “system” and “system interrupts” usage go from low to very high when it’s starts to download anything. I haven’t updated bios but I have tried everything else, even changing the power settings from balanced to AMD balanced to high performance etc. I’ve Reset the graphics card to original state. Turned gaming mode on and off. I disabled the wake on magic packet option. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any tips and sorry for the long post.

🍻

Answers

• TSTDavey
    Options

Hello @DG1970 and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Your build looks great, but something is bottlenecking when you are downloading. When did you purchase the MSI X570 Tomahawk mobo? The reason we ask is because there is a x570 chipset driver update dated 12/11/2020. If the purchase is before December 11th, we'd recommend to try updating your chipset driver for the x570.

There's also an updated LAN driver for the x570. We're assuming you have your PC hardwired with a Ethernet cable. If not there is also a wifi driver update as well. Try updating your network drivers for the x570 as well.

Test your bottlenecking after these updates with your power options set to High Performance.

If still have issues, try running your malware or virus scan software to make sure malicious software is removed that could possibly be affecting your download speed.

If the issue persists, then yes, do the Bios update at that point.

Let us know the results.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI#down-driver&Win10%2064

• DG1970
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply and tips. I have all the latest chipset drivers. Just verified them from the AMD website and I use the program IObit Driver booster as well. I just uninstalled msi Dragon Center at the moment because I noticed it kept making changes to settings I had applied, like the power settings. I want to see how that plays out without dragon centre on the system. Just need to find a large file to download lol.
    thank you again
  • DG1970
    Options
    So this may have fixed my issue. Removing MSI Dragon centre. I just downloaded a 25gb file at roughly 100 MB/s and i didn’t notice any system lags (so far) 🙏🏻🙏🏻
    System and system interupts stayed pretty normal.
    I’ll let it go a few days without rebooting the system to make sure it wasn’t the restart that helped.
    I’m ok with rainbows rgb lol

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@DG1970

There are tools to monitor DPC Latency/System Interrupts that will give you something more precise to look at, like latencymon: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Generally it comes down to usbport.sys or ndis.sys. The former being USB related and the latter network. I've seen programs like Virtualbox cause this with their virtual network adapters. LAN Manager and USB Speed Up are good culprits looking at Dragon Center as a cause.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99