Power spec G164 Random reboot, BSOD, No Boot

Donald714
Donald714
First Comment
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
Hello, I just purchased a powerspec G164 yesterday 2/25/21. I installed an FTP to transfer files from the old comp. Everything worked great for about 4 hours. I allowed the windows update and updated the Radeon application. I was playing a game through steam when the comp restarted. After rebooting it started randomly rebooting every couple min, to a few seconds. Finally I got the BSOD and I selected the recovery. Now it will not boot or give the BSOD. What can I do?

Comments

• Hello @Donald714

What are you experiencing when you try to boot your PC? You mentioned that it won't boot and is not BSOD. What do you see on the screen instead?

• Donald714
    Donald714
    First Comment
    edited February 2021
    It was BSOD. It would show the powerspec splash screen and load the windows lockscreen. When a button was pushed to enter the pass/pin it would then BSOD and restart. This happened a few times. Other times it would show the splash screen then reboot. Currently, I have it up and running, it has only restarted once. I have updated the drivers and allowed windows to update. I am now trying to allow the windows 10 20h2 update to install but it does not install on restart. I am now manually updating. The only other restart that has happened (this morning) is when I moved the comp to plug in a rear USB keyboard. When I pulled the tower forward it gave a black screen and restarted. The cables are free and clear to move without hanging up or being pulled. Sorry, trying to be detailed.
  • So, to be sure I understand correctly now when you've moved or jostled the tower the system reset and rebooted? Interesting... Are you able to replicate this in any way?

If you're comfortable with it, I would check to ensure that all the GPU is properly seated in the motherboard slot. You can remove and reinstall the GPU from the motherboard making sure that the retention lever is holding the GPU properly in the PCI-E slot.

Another suggestion would be to check the Event Viewer for any Critical errors that may have happened recently.

• I'd also recommend checking your system's health by following our guide to run an SFC scan.

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2326/how-to-run-an-sfc-scan-in-windows-10

• Yes, the last reboot happened while moving the unit but the random restarts prior were at such random intervals I think it was coincidence. I checked to make sure all cables and cards were seated properly, I will check again. Thank you for your help, I will post an update when I have completed the guide.
  • Sounds good. Keep us updated!

• Donald714
    Donald714
    First Comment
    edited February 2021
    Ok, I followed the DISM guide and was able to run the sfc scan which came back with errors the first scan, then the dism, and another scan with no errors. I am able to boot up and run windows and steam without issue. I have not had a reboot or BSOD since 1230-1pm, it is now 630pm. I have also checked all hardware to make sure the connection is good and did a jostle test to make sure it didn't reboot. I want to thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I do have one other question. Windows still has the 20h2 update that prompts me to restart to finish installation. I have restarted using the update prompt a few times but the update will not go through. I also tried to use the windows media creator with no success. Do you know a way to force the update or should I just leave it alone?
  • No error. The windows update manager says that the download is ready and needs to restart to install, and has the yellow dot next to the update and restart. It doesn't update, just restarts, no errors or popups.
  • Try this:

Go to Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

Run the troubleshooter, and then reboot your PC and try the updates again.

• All fixed. I powered the unit down for the night. Once I started up this morning windows grabbed another update, on restart the other update finally went through with no issues. Thank you very much for your time and effort. Its much appreciated.
  • Good to hear! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• Update!!! It started happening again. It went 3 weeks without an issue then started rebooting randomly. It seems like I get the same 3 stop codes. Irql_less_than..., kernel code, and page on page less code. It mostly just blacks out and reboots. It has rebooted 4 times in the 5 min it has taken me to get on this site and complete this message. I used the media creation tool and reinstalled windows to no avail. Any ideas?
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

You have reinstalled Windows since you have gotten these bluescreens?

• Donald714
    Donald714
    First Comment
    edited March 2021
    No bluescreen after the windows install, but constant rebooting at random intervals. I found a setting in windows for automatic restart. I disabled this option and haven't had a reboot yet. Time will tell...
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Alright, please test that out, if the issues do return, with a clean install of Windows, that is the last step of software troubleshooting that can be done. In that case if it does not work, this may need to be brought in to a Micro Center store for further assistance as it would point to a hardware issue.

• Donald714
    Donald714
    First Comment
    edited March 2021
    Well, ran just fine. Had to leave town for a few hours. Came home and all was good. This morning it was still on where I left it. Now 8:50am I sat down to create a 3d print file and I didn't even get to make a mouse or keyboard click when it restarted. After the restart it immediately blue screened before I could sign in. Now I am having issues booting up. I think at this point I have spent more time repairing the comp than I have used it. The only software on the comp is simplify3d, steam, with war thunder, and lightburn, a laser etching program. Thats all thats on hear and all legit paid for software.
  • @Donald714 just chiming in on the Powerspec now not booting up. Try holding in the power button for 20 seconds, nothing happen, we're just resetting it. Then release finger and press power button normally to see if it now boots up. If it does not, you may have to bring it into the store for diagnostic.

• Thank you, I tried. It made it past the powerspec logo but freezes on the enter pin screen. Tried again and it just continues to freeze at the powerspec splashscreen. I tried holding for 20 sec from powered on and hold for 20 sec, then powered off and held for 20 sec. None of it seemed to work. Now its back at the recovery page. I tried multiple times to make sure it wasn't me. On the reboot it went straight to bsod.
  • @Donald714 okay, sorry this is occurring. You can try doing the clean install of windows or bring it into the store for service.

• I first reseated all components, did a windows diagnostic, then went for the clean windows install. None of it worked. I will take it back to micro center.
  • @Donald714 okay, understood. Again sorry this is occurring, please bring it to the store.

• I took the system back to the store and it was exchanged for a new one. This is why I shop at and trust Micro center, I appreciate all the help and for the honesty and integrity in your products. Always a great experience.
  • Sorry to hear that there was an issue with your system.

I'm glad to hear that we could take care of this for you at our store. Happy to hear that we could turn this around for you and make it a great experience! Do let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with!

Thanks!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99