Need Help Building a Budget PC For School / Work

Options

Hello,

I have recently been trying to build a PC that would do good for my school work which means this PC would have to be good for multitasking and I need speed as well. I have a budget on this PC as well($900 or less) but with still good parts. I have this PC built I am also very new to building PCs so I do not know what goes into a PC and if there is anything I can take out that wouldn't be necessary. Can someone suggest edits on this PC? It costs 1200 which is way too high for me.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-intel.aspx?load=a06030e6-12d9-4fc7-baf0-006e4eb91287 ($1,248.82 and 237/650 wattage)

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    Options

Hello @invisible

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community!

I took a look at your build and there are definitely a few things I would change. Firstly, the biggest save of money is downgrading the processor. The i7 10700k is a great processor, but mainly aimed for gaming and I think a i5 10400 is more than enough for work and school.

It also comes with a stock fan so you can just use that rather than another cooling solution. I also removed some of the extra storage you had, and switched you to a nice Samsung 500GB Solid State Drive and a 2TB Seagate Hard Drive, a solid combo.

I also upgraded the ACER monitor you picked out, as I feel the standard monitor size at the minimum is 24 inches, and I removed the two Corsair Fans as they aren't needed and are unusable since you will need a Corsair Fan Controller to use them in the first place.

I also removed the Internal CD Drive you picked out as your case does not support it.

Here is the final build, at $865 before tax.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=6b1b9132-9865-40ee-a681-c74cff797917

• invisible
    Options

Geez that is a lot of changes that you made and I appreciate you taking the time to do this. I can't believe you managed to make it a good PC while reducing the cost by almost $400. Thank you so much again.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

You're welcome, please let us know if you have any other questions!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99