How far would you drive for a Micro Center?

Options

Growing up, my nearest Micro Center was 45 minutes away, but I would gladly make that drive regularly for flash drives and computer parts. What about you?

How far would you drive for a Micro Center?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options
    1-2 Hours - Make it a day trip!

I live an hour away, so I suppose 1 hour! :)

• IKEYMAN
    Options
    2+ Hours - I'm prepared to get a hotel!
    I’m in Arizona. We just lost frys electronics. We need something out here :(
  • TR1PW1R3
    Options
    I live in Topeka, Kansas and the nearest Microcenter is the one in Overland Park, Kansas and it's been a blessing to only be an hour away from Microcenter. 
  • Shin_Gouki
    Options

When I was living in Phoenix I would hit Tustin when I would drive to LA to go to Disneyland and visit my GF. Now I am in LA and it's about 45min to an Hour and I make the trip often. Now that Frys is dead I hope you guys build one in the old Brubank Frys and in Phoenix so my Son can get parts.

• S_Dub
    Options
    As long as it takes!
    I drove 60+ miles 1 way. Sure wish you guys had a store near Huntsville, TX!!!! 
  • SlyBlue
    Options
    I've driven 3-4 hours to the one in mayfield heights on multiple occasions. Western NY really needs a Microcenter location
  • SRBruce
    Options
    30-60 Minutes - It's an event!

Driving through Atlanta is a PITA so I don't travel there as much as I'd like to. What I find most annoying is their in store only sale items that you can buy online elsewhere. Unless I can justify the value of my time or if the item is something I need ASAP the savings of the in store only items means I buy the stuff from other online venders when I would rather just buy from Microcenter. So I have a pet peeve with the In Store only Items which are designed to increase instore sales but if they are losing my business they must be losing others. Now if I have a big project that I am working on then the drive is worth my time but sorry to save a small amount on small items cost me more in time, gas and depreciation of the vehicle. Not trying to be mean just sharing when I shop and do not shop at Microcenter.

• E_KeyerYT
    Options

I just paid seventy bucks and wasted an hour to get to and back from a microcenter. The website said 3060 in stock I refreshed it while in store it said still in stock. I went to the counter the workers said just because it said in stock on the website didn't mean it was actually in stock. The site says it is updated real time and the employees present there said it isn't So it was a $70 lie. Thanks MC.

• Jaypher
    Options

I went with 30-60 mins but I'm in Phoenix, AZ. So please take over the old Fry's Electronics real estate so I can be 10 mins from one.

• k1llerdir
    Options

I wish I lived closer to a Micro Center the nearest 1 is about 1h45m. I live in Ashland, KY.

• I live in Rio Rico, south from Tucson Arizona about 65 miles south to be exact, I don't think I have been to an electronic store in years but telling from some of the other comments I have seen here perhaps you can open a store in Tucson to serve as a midway point between Phoenix and Nogales maybe? I can make a trip to an hour or so, would be nice to actually be in a computer parts store again for a change man it's been a long time!

• lwm
    Options
    15-30 Minutes - Just a quick trip!

Before moving to the Philadelphia area, I used to drive up to an hour to get to Micro Center. Now I take the train, and that trip is about 40 minutes. In every other place I've lived (Ohio, Missouri) I've had to drive to get to any Micro Center, and it's always been inconvenient. It's caused my trips to be much less frequent. Unfortunately, Micro Center's real estate acquisition strategy seems to be to lease a space in a strip mall as far away from the city center as possible.

As fewer and fewer people age 30 and under have cars or even driver licenses--and I expect this to be further depressed by the pandemic--I think that strategy is going to have to be re-evaluated. Locations that are closer to downtown, and particularly that are along transit lines or otherwise accessible without having to drive, would open up Micro Center's customer base greatly. And most things don't need to be brought home in a car. You can take RAM, SSD, GPU, CPU, keyboards, etc., home on the bus or train easily.

• Newton1701
    Options
    Please open a store in the Portland, Oregon area! Land of no sales tax, folks drive down from Seattle for big purchases! We’re down to just Best Buy in the whole metro area now that Frys has closed!
  • dereksena
    Options

Not really fond of huge drives for parts. I love brick and mortar stores, but there's a threshold where I'd rather internet-shop.

• kevsounds
    Options

About 15-20 min, its not very far for me in Chicago!

• Zelnar
    Zelnar
    First Comment
    edited March 2021
    Options

I live just below Gettysburg, PA and have to go to Rockville, MD or Fairfax, VA... so... Over an hour each way but it's worth it!

• KingBerry
    Options

When I was back in Jersey, it was a fun 30 minutes drive. The closest MC in North Carolina is at least 4 hours drive. They better pay for a hotel stay on either of the 2 locations orrrrrr they can open one up in Charlotte and serve North and South Carolina 😁

• TSPhillipT
    Options

I feel sorta blessed, since where I live is about 5 minutes away from the closest Micro Center. I used to live 15-20 minutes away, but the family restaurant we owned was in the same shopping center so it was always close by. So for me, it's not so much an event let alone something I would prepare for, it's just stopping by like grocery shopping.

• Pastelle
    Options

1-2 hours as Im new to PC building and want to be able to get parts. Closest one to me is 18 hours away in Tustin CA.

• Rawdilz
    Options

One to two hours. I live in central pa and there is three micro centers with in two hours of me.

• Enkur
    Enkur ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

Drove 3 hours today from Austin to Houston. Please pick up the closed Frys location and bring Micro Center to Austin!

• DeeZee
    Options

Round trip is close to two hours. then there is the time spend in the store. I wish there was a store closer to me. Plenty of places to set up a store around where I live, here in Elyria.

• DaBoSSSSLady
    Options
    I live in Washington.  I would go extraordinary lengths to shop in one if it was built near me at all. I am addicted to building. I would love to have one in my city.  I would go there to look and plan; it would be anxiety relief. I would work there just to be able to build every day. I would be broke. But would rather be broke and happy than frustrated with money.
  • Fogy
    Options

Flying to Chicago from Florida on business. Thinking about 1-2 attempts. It's about an hour from where I'll be. Not exactly a GPU-specific trip, but still...

• Kathryn
    Options
    As long as it takes!

Just flew from Cali with an intentional layover in Denver, went to that one, then landed in Nashville to road trip to the Ohio Locations.

was fun and definitely worth it !!!!!!!!

• madscientist42
    Options

Heh. Drove about an hour in on the weekends when I was consulting in Denver. You were the go-to place back about 6 years ago- and still kind of are. Newegg and Amazon are all well and good for parts- but to be able to walk in and see it and to have a person to deal with and interact with when you needed to return/exchange and no hassles? Yeah. I'll buy from you guys if I can.

• RiskyBz
    Options

Please, please, please build a Micro Center in Phoenix AZ !!!

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Hello! Thank you for providing us a location you think a Micro Center would be great at! I don't really have the pay-grade to make the decision of opening up a location but I can send this to the people that are and see their thoughts and opinions!  

• DanteTheK9
    Options

I'll drive an hour or two if I need to.

Unfortunately, the nearest one to me in a nearly eight hour drive to Georgia. We need a Micro Center (Or several) in Central Florida so badly.

• didgiee
    didgiee ✭✭
    First Comment
    Options
    I moved to South Florida, wish there was a MC here.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99