basic desktop that supports TWO or more 3.5 inch internal SATA drives

Options
danis217
danis217
First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion

Hi All,

I am old-fashioned (bought my last computer in 2010 with two 3.5 inch internal SATA drives - 1TB each).

I am looking to buy a new desktop for same purpose (occasional RDP to the computer - edit some important documents and save there). Now the needs have grown to 3-4 TB range and windows 7 is getting old on the older computer (dell vostro).

What should I buy as a basic windows 10 desktop, where I can either add two more 3.5 inch SATA disks, or swap the OS disk to a larger disk. I am looking for both disks to support 4TB.

Everything I am finding on Microcenter's website says - '3.5 inch expandable slot" - available 1.

Thank you for your advice,

Best Answers

• TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@danis217 just chiming in. Yes share with us a budget. But we do have some Powerspec servers that will have two additional 2.5" drive bays like the Powerspec b683 or the g164. The powerspec g228 has two additional 2.5" bays and 1 3.5" bays.

Storage technology has evolved since 2010. You can get TB drives in the 2.5" size for a SATA drive or even better, a Solid State Drive (SSD).

• TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@danis217 Powerspecs are Microcenter's brand. They come with a 1 year warranty. They are solid computers. Are they the best no, are they good, yes.

• TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@danis217 we don't have any sata 2.5' drives at 4TB. You could get those on amazon or newegg.com. But we do have 2.5" Solid state drives that are 4tb. A 4TB drive will run you about $430 a drive, FYI.

Take a look at the Samsung 870 evo 4tb internal SSD. Samsung manufacture solid SSD drives.

Answers

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Hello, we can look into this for you. Did you have a budget / amount in mind for this PC?

• danis217
    Options

I was looking into under 600 for the desktop+OS - then add two SATA disks for 100-125 each?

• TSTDavey
    Options

@danis217 from what we have take a look a the Powersepc b683, g164, b246 off our website. All 3 have two 2.5" drive bays. You could install 2 sata 2.5" drives or SSD 2.5" in them.

We really don't have any systems nowadays with additional 3.5" drive bays. If prefer 3.5" drive bays, you'll be able to find them online from Amazon or newegg.com possibly.

• danis217
    Options

Thank you, as you said "the storage technology has evolved" :) I am glad to see the options with 2.5inch SATA disks in large capacity.

Is Powerspec a reliable brand? I will look at these three models you have mentioned

• danis217
    Options

Last question - which 2.5 SATA drive would you recommend? Need two of them 4TB each (4-5). This will store all important data.

• TSTDavey
    Options

@danis217 we unfortunately do not have 4Tb 2.5" SATA drives. You could find those online at amazon or newegg.com. But we do have 4TB 2.5" internal solid state drives (SSD). Just and FYI a 4tb SSD will run about $430.

It'll be cheaper to go with a 4tb SATA HDD. But I don't see that we have any.

But if you were to look at the 4TB SSD, take a look at the Samsung 870 EVO 4TB internal SSD.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99