G436 MSI Mystic Light/Lian Li L-Connect/Dragon Center?

Options
OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT
edited April 2021 in General Discussion

I moved my g436 into an 011 dynamic. 6 Unifans and a Galahad AIO later, RGB control is, well, weird to say the least.

So, since my Galahad fans are not plugged into the Unifan controller (still considering somehow finding adapters to do so, if you have suggestions im all ears), they run a different lighting and fan speed profile on boot up. To get the unifans to be controlled by my motherboard (msi z490 plus), I have to open L Connect every time and it then reverts to the "allow control by Motherboard" option i had saved in Lconnect. Thats fine, I just added LConnect to my start up apps and thats over with.

Now the version of Mystic Light preinstalled on this computer, is very, very barebones. A little white screen, with a drop down menu of lighting profiles to choose from. Upon searches on youtube, I see other versions of mystic light that look more in depth, more like a legit PC application if that makes sense. I believe its just called Dragon Center. Reading through previous discussions on this matter with this pc and mobo, the issue seems to still be unresolved. Is there a sure fire fix?

Comments

• DMA
    DMA ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2021
    Options

@OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT

This is a problem with these cheap Chinese MOBO's that weren't meant for retail sale, although Micro Center won't tell you that until after you bring your shiny new Power Spec computer home and do a little investigating on your own. The listing in their specs would lead you to believe that these are MSI supported boards but alas, they are not. And Micro Center has been pretty clear in numerous posts that they have no intention of updating any BIOS or supporting any enhanced Dragon Center applications.

Basically you will have to replace the MOBO on your own if you are looking for full functionality and that would include any future BIOS support, such as Resizable BAR support, which is becoming (or will soon) a major issue and I don't see how they are going to avoid negative reviews since they are selling a GPU with Resizable BAR ability but don't want to help their customers gain the use of it.

I only bought this G436 PS because I couldn't get my hands on a RTX3000 series graphics card. I have already had to replace the POS AIO Cooler (a quick internet search will tell you all you need to know about that) and I can see myself in the very near future changing out this POS MOBO. Even the BIOS interface is from the 1990's.

Needless to say, I won't be buying another Power Spec.

Edit: And of course, you see how they rushed to your aid with your question above. 4 days and nary a word for MC techs.

• TSTDavey
    Options

Hello @OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Sorry for the late response.

What is the issue that we can help you with regarding the Dragon Center?

Sorry but the post doesn't give the particulars of the issue.

• Well I read around the forums it isn't compatible with the motherboard on the g436, and the suggestions given didn't fix the issue. I wasn't sure if that issue had been resolved before downloading Dragon Center and screwing something up

• While I agree with you on the motherboard and the bios it runs (look at my post history and you'll see what i mean, it makes changes you never selected), the admin team have been awesome in their support of my issue. I do not fault them for me not being able to get my hands on a card, and in turn buying the first prebuilt i saw that had one without researching a bit.

I ditched the crap chassis, aio, and psu that came with the g436 and put it all into an 011 dynamic xl with a seasonic full modular psu and galahad aio the second the opportunity arose.

Personally, I will never buy another powerspec product, but i will continue giving Microcenter my business because frankly other than the sales people who sell the computers (they're very much like used car salesmen), the staff at MC have been awesome. From the manager down to the people who work in DIY Pc section.

• DMA
    DMA ✭✭
    Options

While I share much of your sentiment with regards to those MC staff members that have reached out to you and I too did have a couple of issues that they helped me overcome, also related to the LED lighting. However the position of MC not to update the BIOS on a machine that is marketed to gamers and now in particular the fact that a gaming upgrade is readily available yet we sit here with a cheap, inferior MOBO in virtually every way as compared to a retail unit and they refuse to work on any BIOS updates and use some marketing jargon as to how they are only interested in keeping these computers in their original tested and certified state is a HUGE DEAL to many of us gamers who thought we were getting a MOBO that would be supported by MSI directly.

The fact that you've had to replace more the half of the components is proof enough that these computers are put together with many inferior parts. I bet at least half of the Power Spec gaming computers being sold over the past year have been bought by people who fully intended to put their own system together but were unable to get their hands on the most important part of the gaming system, the GPU. So we bought these, many of us doing the research of component pricing every item and determined we were getting a very good system at a very fair price. Then you find out that these are actually put together with many non standard off the shelf components and the ones that are retail, such as the Master Cooler AIO, is pretty much a POS and the problems related to noise are all over the internet. So basically we paid $1800 to get a decent CPU and an RTX3070 and now find out that we can't make use of a big new feature because the MOBO BIOS is not supported, either by MSI or Micro Center.

Over time I will end up replacing this MOBO and like you, probably the case and AIO as well. By the way I did end up putting another AIO after the first one failed at the one month and one day mark. Sure, they offered to replace it but I'd have to leave it with them for an undetermined amount of time and for me that was not acceptable.

• TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    edited April 2021
    Options

@OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT dragon center should be compatible the MSI z490 in the G436.

Like can you describe what is happening? Like are the lights not turning on, or are you getting an error message when launching Dragon Center or is Dragon Center not opening, like what is happening that we feel its not compatible with the G436.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT

If you install Dragon Center over the existing Mystic_Light installation, it will remove Mystic_light and only partially install Dragon Center. We can provide a batch file to fix this. It'll uninstall the SDK package for Dragon Center, then you can just open the app again and it'll install the SDK properly. It's a relatively quick fix.

You can contact tech support via phone, chat or text. We can also open a case from here for you and help you through this. I have posted this script on the forum on this thread for the B745, which utilizes the same motherboard: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/comment/26049#Comment_26049

You may get some errors when the script when it runs, it just means a specific sub component wasn't installed with the Dragon Center SDK. Click "Ok". This can happen up to four times, but the script will continue and this solution should still work normally.

• OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT
    edited April 2021
    Options

ok cool i appreciate it. will let you know if i want to do it 🤘

• DMA
    DMA ✭✭
    Options

This actually worked out very well for me and it makes me wonder why it wasn't posted long ago in the many other posts that have previously enquired about the Dragon Center functionality instead of asking "why do you need it?".

After following your instructions with the batch file it installed the Dragon Center with what appears to be full functionality. Thank you.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99