Inconsistent CPU temperatures when gaming (Acer desktop)

Options
Aster
Aster ✭✭
Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
edited May 2021 in General Discussion

Buckle up, I'm providing as much info as possible to get to the bottom of this.

I brought home an acer predator orion 3000 (po3-620 with i7 10700 and RTX 2060 super) a little over a week ago, but a few days later I noticed the CPU was getting VERY hot in gaming, namely in the 95C area in Destiny 2 for several hours (yes I played it that long just to make sure it was going to stay there and tried closing things to see if it helped). I tried a few things afterwards and was happy to see temps were 60-70C the next day and for a whole week after. This is what I did:

1. stopped using chrome altogether, have been using firefox instead
  2. changed the power profile back to "Acer" (default) from "balanced" (which I changed it to on a whim shortly after setting up the pc)
  3. plugged in an Ethernet cable just in case the Wifi 6 is hot or something.
  4. re-installed geforce experience (installed it day 1, uninstalled it day 2, reinstalled day 3)

Tonight I am getting a similar issue again, though I'm not letting the CPU get above 85-89C before turning off the game. It seems OK in idle game activity, but heats up in matchmade activities.

The thing is, this week, I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on highest settings, even streamed it on discord while doing so; AC Origins performed well earlier today and the day after my "fixes"; I probably clocked in about 2-4 hours of D2/Subnautica BZ every day this week because school ended and the CPU was fine. The reason I know the CPU wasn't getting too hot (besides occasional monitoring) is that the case fans get extremely loud (like AC in a truck) if the CPU goes above 75C-ish for too long. The RTX has been getting the low 80s (usually 60-79 though) but I am told that's normal for something of its caliber.

Other notes:

-I unplugged the Ethernet cable 2-3 days ago but I am not convinced this is the issue as I did not see immediate changes.

-Idle, the CPU can be anywhere between 40-70C, usually 60-70 when I'm downloading or installing stuff, and in the 50s-60s when I'm using my art program (Clip Studio, I work in high resolutions), which is normal to the best of my knowledge. When just using firefox and discord, it tends to be in the high 40s/low 50s.

-I shut down the PC every night around the same time and wake it up every morning for work and play. After shutting down, there is a fast and quiet clicking in the PSU area that does not stop unless I unplug it entirely.

-Destiny 2 is on the SSD (C drive) while most of my other games are on the D drive.

TL;DR, I'm very confused because it was working like a charm since last Tuesday and I was sure the culprit was the power profile. Does it need better paste on the CPU cooler? A BIOS check?

EDIT next morning: temps are back to "normal", of course, after I spend hours overnight researching, but I am still at a loss to what is going on so I have tried something courtesy acer forums/reddit, though it was mostly suggested for laptops.

Both of these numbers were at 100% and the CPU has consistently been above 4000mhz since I unboxed it. So Acer had it boosting the whole time. Now it is sitting around 2700 and doesn't even hit 50C in Destiny. 60FPS 1080p is all I need right now so I HOPE this is a sturdy solution; at least until I can Frankenstein the whole build into a bigger case with better fans (and bigger psu if compatible ones come around) in a year or so. (I set the minimum to 5% after some more googling and may try this with the max set back to 100%).

Here are the temps in Destiny 2 before and after my initial group of fixes. As you can see the CPU % and GPU values are roughly the same so something else may still be going on. You can also see the difference between WiFi and Ethernet here.

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99