Options
Greetings,

I am thinking of adding more RAM to my computer, the current components are:

CPU
INTEL I9-9900k

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi

Ram
G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC - Black

https://www.microcenter.com/product/610708/gskill-trident-z-neo-series-rgb-32gb-(2-x-16gb)-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-cl16-dual-channel-memory-kit-f4-3600c16d-32gtznc-black

I want to put 2 more modules of RAM but they are 2x32 would be these: 

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-360018D-64GTZR - Black

https://www.microcenter.com/product/623525/gskill-gskill-trident-z-rgb-64gb-(2-x-32gb)-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-cl18-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-f4-360018d-64gtzr-black

So I need to know if it can cause any glitches like blue screens, computer freezing or something like that.

That the ram loses a bit of speed due to the difference is something that does not affect me to much.

Comments

• MageTank
    Options

What you are trying to do could potentially work, but there are some things to consider and be careful of:

• Mixing memory DRAM IC's (Samsung, Hynix, Micron) can result in instability. These different IC's have different tolerances to certain frequencies, voltages & timing configurations and trying to mix them can cause your memory controller to train a value that results in instability. I don't have a guide written on how to identify memory IC's, but I can write one up later on today to go over this. From my initial glance at both kits, both appear to be Hynix CJR/DJR so you should be fine here.
    • The order in which you populate the DIMM slots on the motherboard is very important. You will want to match the memory channels with the same memory modules to avoid running in Flex Channel Mode, which would be harder on the memory controller. More information on this can be found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html
    • The difference in primary timings on the 64GB kit should be noted as you'll want to ensure the 32GB kit can operate at those timings as well. The goal will be to slow down the 32GB kit to match the speed of the 64GB kit and hope the board trains the tertiary timings despite the differences in ranks/banks on the DIMM's themselves.

The short answer is, you'll have to roll the dice to see if it actually works, as the end result will depend entirely on whether your motherboard and CPU can agree upon a timing configuration to make it work. If it doesn't, I don't mind walking you through manually entering timings to get it to work, assuming you are comfortable making those adjustments.

With all of that said, I do have to ask; are you doing something memory intensive that would require more than 64GB of memory? Or do you simply not want to waste the current memory installed? If it were me, I'd simply go with the 64GB of memory and overclock that for faster performance instead of trying to make 96GB work. You'd have the spare 32GB kit as a backup test kit or as a spare kit for another system if you ever needed it. Just my two cents.

• Brencis
    Brencis ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @MageTank

I am creating an Ark Survival server (it is a game I do not know if you know it) basically I will open 10 servers of these which consume 1-6 GB of RAM each one
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99