Motherboard is stuck on yellow/orange “HRAM” light. Keyboard and mouse don’t turn on, PC won’t POST

Options
Specs:
Mobo- Strix Z390e-gaming
Cpu- I7-8700k
Gpu- GTX 1080ti
Ram- 2 x 8GB DDR4 3200 DRAM

I built my pc with mostly parts from microcenter about two years ago. I haven’t had any problems with it until last night. When I started my pc, my sign in screen had some lines at the bottom half of the screen, but when i logged in, it went away so I didn’t think much of it. About an hour later, my computer suddenly froze so I did a hard restart. After that, everything in the case lit up and turned on, but it showed “no display” on my monitor and wouldn’t connect 

Cable and Monitor

Used different dp cable, nothing
Tried dp cable on friends  computer, worked fine
Tried monitor on friends  computer, worked fine

GPU

-Took out the gpu and tried to run through integrated, still nothing 
-Put my friends gpu in, that didn’t work either 

When i was pulling out the gpu, i noticed the yellow/orange light stuck on “DRAM” on the Mobo. So at that point, I’m thinking it’s either the Mobo or ram, possibly even the cpu?

RAM

-switched the ram around in different slots, tried booting off one, nothing. Bought new ram and that didn’t fix it either 

MOTHERBOARD

-unplugged everything and did a cmos(pulled out battery and jumped), still nothing 

CPU

I tried unplugging the cpu and applying new thermal paste, but nothing

So at this point, it has to be a faulty motherboard or the CPU right? I just want to make sure I’m going about this correctly before I completely disassemble my pc

Comments

• TSTDavey
    Options

Hello @Berke_Tan1 and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. You have a 8700K cpu which normally only supports 2666mhz RAM sticks. You have 3200 Mhz RAM sticks. Its not posting because the bios can't recognize your RAM speed.

There should be MEMOK switch next to the LED lights and its labeled MEMOK. Press that switch and hold it down for 3 seconds then release finger. Turn system off and back on see if the bios will then recognize your RAM speed.

If not, then you have to put 1 RAM stick into the first RAM slot closes to the CPU to get it to post to fix the issue.

One RAM stick is what you'll use in the first RAM slot near CPU.

You should then be able to post. At This point you can install windows and then update your motherboard's bios to see if it will work with your RAM sticks.

Or you can use another working computer ,if you have one; and download the motherboards bios file to a USB and then update the bios on your Z390 MOBO.

If updating the bios does not fix this you may have to go with DDR4-2666 RAM sticks due the 8700K.

See the link below on the Memory Specifications the 8700K supports.

I8-8700K Specs:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126684/intel-core-i7-8700k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

• Berke_Tan1
    Options
    Thank you for the reply 
    Ive been using that ram and cpu for 2 years and haven’t had any problems
    What would’ve changed that caused it to stop working? @TSTDavey
  • TSTDavey
    Options

@Berke_Tan1 If its been working for the past 2 years than you may potentially have a hardware issue (ex., wear & tear).

Will the computer post with just 1 RAM stick in the first RAM slot near the CPU?

You could have a bad board, bad RAM, etc. I'd recommend to bring it to the store for a full diagnostic.

Its $40 and they can find out what the problem is.

If its a bad board or RAM, if there is a warranty they can replace it. If no warranty, then at least you know what the problem is and you could do the repair/replacement yourself.

• Berke_Tan1
    Options
    @TSTDavey I tried every possible combination with the existing ram and the new ram that I bought as well, but it didn’t work

At this point, I’m assuming it’s the motherboard. I just bought a new motherboard from you guys and I’m going to test it in a couple hours when I get home

If that doesn’t work, it has to be the CPU right? Or possibly even both the CPU and Motherboard
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.