ASUS X570 BIOS hangs on raid level selection

Hello, I've been dealing with setting up a raid volume for my build and I feel like I've exhausted every scant bit of information I could find on my situation. 

I recently purchased two 4tb Samsung 870 Evo drives with the intent to pair them up in a raid 0 array.

They both have power, and are connected via sata to motherboard. (forgive the remidial nature of my description, I'm not an expert.) 

My build currently, assuming relevancy:

Ryzen 7 5800x 

ASUS Dark Hero x570 (BIOS version unsure, at work currently- have not flashed anything yet) 

(2) Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD (in RAID 0)

(2) Samsung 870 EVO SSD (Discoverable in bios, but not formatted)

(Let me know if anything else is relevant) 

I open up my BIOS, navigating to the create array menu, and when I toggle the drop down menu for what raid level I want, the BIOS hangs, requiring a restart to resume computer function.

I've only tried different sata ports as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

The information I've gathered on my problem is scant: only few mentions of... Flashing firmware for motherboard, and other suggestions of specifically flashing raid firmware. I've not explored these options for fear of losing my OS raid volume.

I'm unsure how to proceed, I could use information on what the aforementioned tips will do to my OS array.

Thank you for any information you might share. 

Comments

• Hello @zenleo and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. We're assuming you have a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo, is that correct?

Do you already have an existing Raid Array configured and are trying to create a new one?

Is so, you'll have to delete the existing array before setting up a new one.

Are your drives SATA connecting SSD's? If so you'll need to change your SATA mode to RAID in the bios. Raid configuration guide below.

If you have not yet set up a Raid array and it still hangs when navigating to select Raid configuration, yes; you want to update your bios for your motherboard. Then try the RAID set up again.

RAID Configuration Guide:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045089/

• 1: correct, that is the motherboard I have. 

2: I have two 2tb 980 pro ssd installed on the motherboards 2 m.2 slots. They are in raid 0. What I'm trying to do is add a new array comprised of the two 4tb 870 Evo ssd. 

Do you mean to say I cannot have two raid arrays at the same time? 

3: I have done so, the step I'm stuck on comes after the option to set sata mode to raid.

4: if I follow through with this, will I lose OS array in the process? 
  • @zenleo you can have multiple array (ex., Raid 0, Raid 10, etc.). But you may come across issues of configuring a duplicate Raid array (ex., Raid 0 for 2 m.2 drives and Raid 0 for 2 4tb 870 evo ssds.

Are you trying to make the 2 4tb 870 Evo's also RAID 0?

The RAID configuration guide are the steps to set up RAID on your motherboard. You already have an array setup, presumably for the OS on one of the 980 pro SSD; which are separate storage drives from the EVO 870 drives your are trying to set up the RAID for.

So no, long as you configure the RAID for the EVO drives and not the drive that has you OS, it should not wipe out your OS array.

• @zenleo Try updating the bios first, then attempting the RAID set up again.

• @TSTDavey, I appreciate your time, didn't work- Im at a loss where to go next, perchance something is wrong with my motherboard itself? 

I'll try contacting ASUS I guess or just put up with having two drives.

Thanks again 

• @zenleo so after updating the bios, the RAID selection still hangs correct? There could be an issue with the board or an ASUS bug. Let us know what ASUS says.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@zenleo

Usually you'll have a specific setting on the SATA Configuration menu to enable NVME Raid. Did you enable this? The drives should just not show, rather than for your board to hard lock.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99