GPU Overclocking - Time Spy Scores

JS_MC
JS_MC admin
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
edited June 2021 in Graphics Cards

I recently created a CPU Cinebench thread and wanted to create a GPU thread as well! 

I’ll link to a Google Docs spreadsheet that will be updated frequently with submissions in the thread below. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/104ktRNATV7L5kGGWHC77GM5_WGkl0SzVPsuFu98eKIA/edit?usp=sharing 

If you have feedback or suggestions, please share them below!

FAQ:

Q) How do I get my score added to the spreadsheet?

1. Post information and a screenshot of your Time Spy score in this thread in the order below.
  2. CPU:
  3. GPU:
  4. GPU Core:
  5. GPU Memory:
  6. Score:
  7. 3DMark Screenshot:

Q) Where do I download 3Dmark Time Spy?

1. You can download the benchmarks at the links below: https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark#windows

Q) How many times can I post my scores?

1. You can post as many scores as you like with as many different GPUs as you’d like. If you have two of the same GPU, then let us know. Only the highest score you get with a GPU will go on the spreadsheet. e.g. If you have an existing score with a @3Ghz and then improve your score with your @4Ghz, then your score at 3ghz will be deleted, and your score at 4Ghz will go on the spreadsheet. If you submit a score with a 1080 Ti, then upgrade your GPU to a 3080, you will keep both scores. 

Q) How do I get a screenshot for the thread?

1. You can take a screenshot by pressing prt sc on your keyboard or by pressing Win + Shift + S. To view your screenshot, open Paint, then you can either press ctrl+v or Paste in Paint, and the screenshot will appear in Paint. Save the file as a .jpeg somewhere you will be able to find it later. Then, simply copy and paste the saved image into a new post on this thread.

Here are some simple tips I’ve learned from friends on other forums and from some of my own overclocking experiences. I hope they help you on your way to a high score!

1. Don't have any other programs running while you are doing the benchmark. This includes temperature monitoring software and CPU-Z. If you are concerned about your temps, do one run with the monitor open to check they don’t get too high, then another run without it open.
  2. Run the tests repeatedly! Scores will vary, and sometimes a single point will be the difference between first and second place.
  3. Take your side panel off your case, open a window, or find the coldest place you can run the benchmark. Less heat + more overclock = higher scores.
  4.  Run it on a fresh install if you can. Fresh installs typically have less running in the background.
  5. Don't use your 24/7 OC. Top scores will be made with overclocks that might be too hot or too unstable for everyday use.
  6. Overclock your GPU, CPU, and RAM.
  7. High clock speed on your GPU and CPU are always good, but make sure your RAM is running at its full potential too. Normally, higher speed RAM with lower CL or Cas Latency is better. Get that CL down as low as possible while trying to maintain a good memory frequency.

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    1. CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
    2. GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (AMD Direct OEM model card)
    3. GPU Core: The Radeon software's auto/dynamic overclock says up to 2539 allowed but Timespy's graph has a high point of 2319
    4. GPU Memory: 1992Mhz is the highest point on the Timespy graph
    5. Score: GPU: 19,494 CPU: 8031 Total: 16,056
    6. 3DMark Screenshot:

• Fantastic! Our first GPU score! Now I'll have to see what my home rig can do. 😁

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

My 5600X really drags down my grand total score so please only look at the "graphics score" section, hah hah! I should have a 5900X or at least a 5800X. But I had intended to pair it with an RTX 3070 which would have been about the right balance. I only ended up with the 6800 XT purely by luck after months of GPU hunt frustration. Now that I've got it though, there's no trading down to a 3070!

In your spreadsheet you can put 'liquid' instead of 'air' for cooling, as I have it on a Corsair XG7 waterblock. The highest temp it reaches during the test is 88C.

• Thanks for the update! I've changed this over and corrected the entry!

How are you enjoying your 6800 XT? Have you seen any specific areas where it really shines or struggles?

Do you have it OC'd? 88C seems pretty spicy to me, but I've not had any extended time running with a liquid-cooled GPU. I know AMD cards do tend to run on the warmer side from time to time, so I think your choice to liquid cool your GPU was a beneficial one!

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I have to compare it with is the GTX 1650 it replaced so yeah the 6800 XT is pretty awesome. It struggles on the Port Royal ray tracing benchmark but I don't have any games that can make it sweat at all.

The only thing that can get it up to 88C is Timespy, which is a pretty brutal run job you must admit. I don't have any games that can work it that hard. The 2 weeks before I could get it on the liquid loop, the air cooler would get to around 90C on Doom Eternal. With liquid I can play that and not break 55C.

• That makes a lot of sense. I'd expect to see your gaming temps throughout - Good to know it's only hitting that under a synthetic load.

Glad you're enjoying your new card! 1650 to 6800 XT is a huge leap!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99