First PC Build

Options

Howdy,

I am in the process of building my first PC. I will be using it for a mixture of running engineering software on it for school (like Solidworks and stuff), as well as using it to code extensively. I want to make it able to run games on it smoothly; mainly, I think I will be playing FPS, MMO, and some RPGs (Call of Duty, Hunt Showdown, Cyberpunk, Battlefield, etc.).

I have been looking into everything for a week or two, but it is still fairly overwhelming from the sheer number of options that seem like they would work. My budget is around $1200, but this can be slightly flexible if need be. One thing I am considering is that my friend offered to sell me a GPU (Radeon RX570 Powercolor Red Devil for $200), a PSU (EVGA 550 G3 for $50), and a motherboard (ASUS B250 Mining expert for $250).

I have several questions. Are the aforementioned parts worth buying or would it be easier to just buy from a retailer? AMD or Intel for processor? Which GPU is the best value? Would a prebuilt be a better option or would I be able to get better components if I build it myself?

Again, I'm not looking for something to run 4k at 100 fps, Im just looking for something to run smoothly at a good resolution with the opportunity to upgrade in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99