Help me choose a mobo and memory for hard-working 5950x

Options
pekirt
pekirt
Name Dropper First Comment
edited August 2021 in Help Choosing Parts

Hi everyone,

I have a specific use case and a budget and I need advice.

• CPU "has to be" 5950x. I explain below why, but if you think I'm wrong in any of my arguments, I'd love to hear it. If not, please skip to the next bullet point. ;)
    • I need MOAR COREZ with more clock-speed. I'm doing numerical simulations, which involve forming millions of 100k x 100k sparse matrices and inverting them.
    • My work consists of 100%'ing all cores for 24 hours but one (for cooling purposes as well as leaving something for the computer to handle itself).
    • A few hours of rest is in order after 24h 100% work! (I need time to analyze the output.) So the work is not always on, but it's on for a long time.
    • The output of all of this work is a text file of ~50MB size per 24 hrs, so fast communication to storage (pcie 4.0) is not an issue.
    • Because of stability, overclocking is not an option.
    • I can't justify a threadripper, because I have access to an HPC grid of a university. This is for "small stuff" that doesn't merit an HPC.
    • While the instruction set of intel is superior, core count and clock speed of AMD beats it.
  • Connectivity: Nothing out of the ordinary.
  • I already have a 850W gold+ power supply and a decent case. I have a wifi card so the mobo doesn't need to have wifi. I "need" only one NVME slot and a few SATA slots.
  • Memory: I need minimum 32GB of memory (the more the merrier but budget considerations). I suspect memory speed is less important than memory size.
  • Budget: $750 for the CPU (thanks for the $50 off!), $300 for the mobo and $200 for memory? So $1200'ish? The less the better of course.
  • I have a no-name Radeon RX560 and I can't justify buying new stuff. Unfortunately I don't have the time for proper gaming.
  • Dual boot to Linux and Windows is a must. (Are there still mobos out there that have a problem with linux?)
  • Case size: ATX. Mobo must be able to fit my Noctua NH-D15. (Water cooling is out: I suspect I'd hit the thermal capacity of an AIO and I'm not willing to do custom watercooling.)
  • I need a stable mobo that can supply the necessary power to the CPU consistently. This is very important for a 24h 100% load CPU!

I'm not far from the Madison Heights, MI store.

So... which motherboard and which memory?

Thank you all for your time and suggestions. :)

Edit: I have a build below, but I have no idea if the motherboard has enough good VRMs for the use case I described. It's just under $1100+tax.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=a2f49f09-3aad-4ef9-afcf-395d375ca616

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99