Windows 11 FAQs

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.
JS_MC
JS_MC admin
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
edited August 2021 in Windows

We've received a few questions about Windows 11 and we've compiled a list of great solutions to these questions from Microsoft about these questions.

What can I do if I'm having problems logging into Windows?

Here are some things you can try if you’re having trouble signing in to a Windows 10 device, including problems signing in after upgrading to Windows

Restart your device

Check your internet connection

Check your password

Sign in with a different account

Sign in using Safe Mode

Sign in with a temporary profile

Sign in with Windows Hello

Reset your PIN

Reset your password

As you can see there are many possible solutions to this question. For more assistance, check out Microsoft’s help article regarding login problems at this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-signing-in-to-windows-298cfd5f-df1f-c66b-36ad-f2a61a73baad

What can I do if Windows is not showing as activated?

If you're running Windows 10, version 1607 or later, the Activation troubleshooter might help reactivate Windows if you recently made a significant hardware change (such as replacing the motherboard) or reinstalled Windows. You must be an administrator to use this option. For more info, see Using the Activation troubleshooter.

Type "Activation Settings" in the center search bar to quickly get to the Activation Troubleshooter

Microsoft has also has several Error codes listed on this page that you can use to identify what specific error was given when trying to activate Windows. Check the link for more details: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-help-with-windows-activation-errors-09d8fb64-6768-4815-0c30-159fa7d89d85

How can I install Windows 11 or how do I upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11? 

At this time, Windows 11 has not yet been released, the only way to receive early access to the new OS is by participating in the Microsoft Insider Program. More info about the Insider Program can be found here: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

How can I create recovery media for Windows 11? 

To create a recovery drive in Windows 10:

In the search box next to the Start button, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.

When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.

Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next.

Select Create. Many files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.

If you ever need to use the recovery drive to reinstall Windows 10 on your PC, see Recovery options in Windows 10 for further instructions. It's a good idea to back up your files frequently because the recovery drive isn't a system image. It doesn't contain your personal files, settings, or programs.

For more details about this, check our source here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-usb-recovery-drive-460091d5-1e8f-cb33-2d17-8fdef77412d5

How can I back up my files in Windows 11? 

If you recently picked up an external drive, one of the great things you can use it for is backing your computers. There are many ways to do this, you could format the drive then drag and drop or copy and paste files to it. If you work with a lot of files though, there are automated solutions built into Windows 11 and earlier versions that can make the process less tedious. In this article, we are going to take a look at using File History to back up your Windows device.

File History, first introduced in Windows 8, is a way to keep backup versions of local files automatically. You can back up to either a Network Attached Storage or a local external USB hard disk. Because external drives are so cheap, it's recommended you invest in a large enough drive to store as much data.

Depending on the version of Windows you are running, finding File History backup will be different. Below are steps to find and start File History in Windows 11:

Windows 11:

Open Settings, in the search box, type: File History or Press Windows key + R Type: control

Under System and Security click on Save backup copies of your files with File History

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-backup-using-file-history-in/d269ab57-69e9-4467-9d06-3f13631e47d4

Can I roll back from Windows 11 to Windows 10?

Reset and rollback can be accessed from the Windows Recovery Environment by selecting System > Recovery > Advanced startup, and pressing Restart now. Once in Windows Recovery, choose Troubleshoot.

Choose Reset this PC to perform a reset. Choose Advanced options > Uninstall Updates > Uninstall latest feature update to perform a rollback.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/unable-to-do-quot-reset-quot-or-quot-go-back-quot-on-windows-11/td-p/2554948

If you have any other questions or solutions that you'd recommend that we add to this list, please let us know in the thread below!

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited October 2021
    Options
  • JS_MC
    Options

Great addition, @Ian!

Thanks for commenting with this!

• GraphicsErik
    Options

I have just purchased a refurbished laptop with Windows 11.

As provided, it has an administrator account that is not password protected, and no other user account.

I have started to use it and it works okay so far.

Do I need to tie it in with a Microsoft account or can I skip that step? Why is a Microsoft account necessary?

It is telling me I should run a "Get Started" script. Before I run that script, what does it do? How do I decide whether I want to "Get Started" or not?

(in general I don't like to see buttons that say "get started" before I know what i want to get started with.)

I sometimes have a bad feeling about OneDrive. I find it a little disorienting, with a "Desktop" that is not the same thing as a local desktop, and wanting to take over the way I save everything.

If I set up OneDrive, can I protect some of my files from being interfered with by OneDrive?

Also, how do I find out the license status of my OS? If I ever need to re-install, do I need to pay again?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99