Finally Caught Up!!

Options

Ever since March my build has been lacking one last thing: https://www.microcenter.com/buildpost/7153/sign-of-the-times-microcentermadness

Finally got through on AMDDirect for a 6800 XT and completed the system! It's been a loooooong wait!!

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Congrats on scoring a card! Nice looking build!

• JohnDaBeardWilliford
    Options

Man that's a tiny PC! I love the water cooling! How hot does it get? I know that some of our smaller builds in store on air get pretty hot. I'm interested on how cool yours is.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2021
    Options
    John, thanks for the positive feedback. To answer your questions, the fluid temp is usually about 5 to 8 C over the room temp.  The 6800 XT gets about 10 to 15 C above the fluid after gaming a while. The Ryzen 5 5600X CPU gets to about 25 to 30 C over fluid. So, if the room is about 30 C now in the summer, the GPU will be 45 to 50 C and the CPU will be 65 to 70 C.

The case is a Corsair 280x, the radiators are 280 (top) and 140 (front). Front and top fans blow inward while the bottoms blow outward. Waterblocks and pump you can see are also Corsair all of which MC carries (This is about a 95% MC build). The secret to this particular case is to get on Thingverse and 3D print the top glass standoff extensions and the foot extensions. That combination makes it work. Out of the box this case gets much hotter.

Also note the CPU and GPU combination are about the max at a total 378 watts. I suspect stuffing a 5950x (or Intel i9) with a 3090 would be just too much. The rule of thumb, 1x120mm  segments of radiator per 100 watts applied here nicely since 3x140 segments is 102% of 4x120 segments. When people complain this case is too hot they've most likely just over filled it in terms of TDP watts.
  • VeronicaRed
    Options

I love the white case and the rbg lights. I definitely want a white case soon, thanks for the inspiration.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Veronica, Yes, after so many years of plain black boxes the white with a window is an amazing look! The 280 case is kind of small but I was able to fit in "good" parts that aren't too hot; see my prior comment above. You may want to consider the 680 case which looks the same except larger and has better cooling for topmost components.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

I like the drain valve. Not ideal being above the bottom of the rad, but you found a way to get one in that still looks pretty good. Tough to do with such a small chassis.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Options

But the drain valve is below the bottom of the rad... when I tilt it over! Thus the benefit of such a small case!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99