PC build to pass on to son when Im gone.

Options
Ryanzorz
Ryanzorz
First Comment
edited August 2021 in Help Choosing Parts

Hey all, building a PC for myself for about 18-24 months before I leave it as a gift to my son when im gone.  We both use our current PCs for mostly gaming with a little youtube. This is the list I came up with, but not sure if he needs better ram speed or not. Hoping after I'm gone it will last him 4-5 years to have as a momento. Cheers. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CV2TGq

Budget is about 3500. Perfer AMD over Intel, rest have no loyalty too.

Comments

• JohnDaBeardWilliford
    Options

The big deal is making sure you will be able to upgrade to the latest hardware when you leave. Personally I get a high end CPU and a good graphics card then swap out the graphics card in year 3ish, then ride it for another 3 to 4 years. I'd go to a Ryzen 7 or 9 rather then the 5 if it is in the budget. Swapping out a GPU is easier then an entire CPU and MOBO (later on that is, we don't know if the current socket would be supported in a couple years). I know you like AMD, but look at this Power Spec prebuild we started carrying for $2999.99:

PowerSpec G469 Gaming PC; Intel Core i9 10th Gen 10850K 3.6GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti 12GB GDDR6X; 32GB - Micro Center

• Ryanzorz
    Ryanzorz
    First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thank you for your response! I am interested in doing something like this for sure. How is the PSU? The IT guy at my job thought this looked like a great deal if the PSU is not on the cheap end.  
  • GuitarGUY22
    GuitarGUY22 Store Associate
    First Comment Micro Center Store Associate Photogenic
    Options

These usually have a 750watt bronze PSU which more often is a Powerspec model or a Coolmaster I would rank them in the medium tier of PSU. Given the current config of the system in question it is good. The Motherboard wont allow for a lot of OC and and other than for novelty the GPU really wont need it at all. So a bronze isnt a bad option. If building this custom a higher end board and PSU would probably be something you might look at.

If you really are gunning the 3080 range as per your PC part list id change the CPU to the 5800x. It seems likely that the kind of performance youd want from a 3080 would require it many titles will be optimizing to higher core like the new Battlefield. Further the Hyper 212 is a little lacking for most CPUs now as they will clock up to higher MHz with better coolers. Since the 5600x comes with a fairly comparable cooler its mostly cosmetic and a small improvement for $40. If you are gaming at 1080p still id go with a 3070 or 3060ti as it will save you money and allow for upping the CPU as well. Also in the current market you can get a 2tb NVME for the same price or even less than the SATA 870 EVO.

Either way we hope to see you soon thanks

• Ryanzorz
    Ryanzorz
    First Comment
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I think i am going to purchase this prebuilt setup. I trust you all more than me so if youre selling it, it must be good. Little nervous about water cooling, but will be fun to experience it once. Really appreciate the help!
  • Ian
    Options

You're welcome, please let us know if you have any other questions.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99