Requesting help finding a good computer. Too many options!

I am in the market for a new computer. I would like to get some computer recommendations based on my requirements below.

Hard requirements:

• Can install and run Linux (preferably Linuc Mint) with little effort! It does not need to come with linux out of the box though.
  • Minimum of 16GB of ram.
  • Relatively light weight and portable.
  • Relatively rugged, reliable, and well made.
  • USB A ports.
  • 13 to 15 inch display.
  • Bright enough to see screen outdoors with sunglasses on.
  • Must be able to see screen clearly without distortion when using polarized glasses.
  • No less than 8 hours (not based on specs, but on real world use)
  • Backlit keys
  • Price between $1000 and $2000

Desired attributes:

• Dedicated graphics card (preferably Nvidia)
  • User replaceable battery, RAM, and hard drive 
  • USB C ports
  • USB C charging
  • Headphone jack
  • One or more HDMI ports for external screens

NOTE: Touch screen and 4K are nice, but not required if they drastically affect battery life, reliability, or cost!

I have previously considered Dell Inspiron, Dell XPS, HP Envy, Lenovo Yoga, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme, Lenovo Thinkpad P1, but have been told by some people to avoid HP and Lenovo. I have heard a lot of good about Dell.

I just need help reducing the list of manufacturers and product lines. There are just too many options!!

Thank you for your help!

Best Answer

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs
    Answer ✓

Greetings, for laptop recommendations, especially with specific screen requirements like this, that question would be quite hard for our Community staff to answer as we are not located in a store. I can advise you that we would not have any laptops that are set up with Linux available in-store.

I would suggest to visit your local Micro Center and work with one of the knowledgeable sales people in store, they can look over the the on-display laptops with you to help find a great laptop for you. Salespeople are available in-store without an appointment any time during store hours.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99