Is The Protection Plan Rendered Void After Upgrading A Part Of A Covered Desktop?

Options

If I upgrade a part of my covered (accidental damage and handling protection plan) prebuilt, specifically the power supply, will all of the parts of my prebuild still be covered under the protection plan excluding the new power supply? I ask because I was told by a manager (who double checked) this was the case, then by a member of the tech team that this was not the case, and then to complicate things further the terms and conditions of the plan underneath section 14, part B is somewhat confusing when applied to this situation. Furthermore, if I put in a PSU and it fails and fries the components, are those components (again not including the PSU) still covered by the protection plan? Or would the parts be rendered void of protection under section 14, part B?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @SoLOLoquy . This is a great question and it comes up from time to time. The "legal-speak" can make it daunting to understand, so I'll help clarify it here.

Long story short: No, upgrading a component (such as a PSU) would not in and of itself void the warranty of the rest of your PC components. With that said, if your new PSU were to damage the rest of your system as a result of being insufficient, lacking protections (over-voltage protection, over-current protection, etc) or as a result of being installed incorrectly, then it would unfortunately void the warranty.

Long story long, I'll link to one of my other posts discussing this:

Now in this case, we are a retail store that specializes in selling computers and computer components. We understand our customer base is full of people that love to upgrade their systems and we even cater to that audience with the very products we carry on our shelves. We are not going to void your warranty simply because you decided to expand your systems capabilities as any of us PC enthusiasts would. We would only advise that you proceed with caution, consult our technical experts on advice prior to purchasing upgrade components (to ensure compatibility and minimize risk of damage) and if you are not confident with performing the installation without causing damage, utilize our installation services. If all goes right, the warranty for the rest of your system will remain intact. Just make sure you hold on to that original PSU in the event that you need to make a claim, as you'll likely need to restore the system to its original condition prior to bringing it in.

Hopefully this helps answer your question. If you need anything else, let us know!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99