CPU Post test

Options

Can Microcenter test a processor to see that it posts normally? Meaning, if I brought in a CPU without a mobo, can they test it? I need to find out if I have a processor or mobo issue.

Thanks.

Answers

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hello @Natesplaceonline

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community. I apologize for the inconveniences but we do not have a service for testing individual pieces of hardware. We do however have a full diagnostic service if you would like to bring the whole build to our service desk.

It would be a $39.99 Diagnostic Fee; https://www.microcenter.com/product/241714/-pc-hardware-troubleshooting

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

This is a strange answer because I took my CPU and 4 sticks of memory to Denver MC and they tested them for me. They did charge $39.99 to do it, but no, I didn't need to bring in the entire system.

• Took the gamble on a bad MOBO and turns out that's what it was. 

I was wondering why the entire system was needed as I would assume the tech department has test benches/systems built this type of testing.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options

It would be dependent on whether our service departments have a platform that can test your components. For example: If you bring in an older 4th gen Haswell-E processor but we do not have any X99 boards on-hand, we would not be able to test the processor on-site to determine if it works.

Our service details can be found here: https://www.microcenter.com/product/241714/computer-diagnostic, but there are two specific pieces to pay attention to:

* We  also run individual hardware tests on some components

* In some cases, we may have to send the equipment out to the manufacturer for depot repair, this typically takes 1 to 2 weeks

To clarify, we can (and do) test some individual components, but there are instances where bringing the entire system in would be far more beneficial (and equally as economical). Obviously we wouldn't want you to gamble on trying to bring a custom hard-loop system in and risk further damage/leaks in transit, but for those that can bring their entire system in, we would be able to offer better peace of mind in our diagnostics as we can rule everything out at once, if that makes sense.

Our service departments do have a pretty wide range of benches, it's mostly going to be older hardware that is difficult for them to test as we typically don't carry older platforms due to space.

Some components are easier to test as they are typically platform agnostic. These would include GPU's (excluding older AGP cards), Power Supplies, Fans/CPU Coolers, RGB lighting components, etc. Memory is also pretty easy, though it depends on how old it is. DDR and DDR2 might be harder to test at some locations due to lack of compatible boards/processors, but DDR3 and DDR4 is pretty easy to test due to the sheer availability of compatible boards/CPU's.

Glad to hear you were able to determine it was the board. Let us know if you have any further questions!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99