Computer case size conundrum

Options

Hi everyone, I have a computer build I'm working on but I have hit a bit of a solid brick wall. I'm looking for a case with adequate space for the radiators I need, but isn't a hundred pound monstrosity (my back isn't as strong as it used to be.) So I have found myself here once again, either asking what the minimum acceptable radiator space would be for a 3950x+3080ti, and some cases that are below fifty pounds stripped that will be able to accommodate without some eccentric bends (i tried to push my luck with an define s a few years ago and the bend I had to make was a bit beyond my capability. for completeness sake, outside of the ram kit I have, I'm not morally attached to any other pieces I have lying in my current computer. Also, what motherboards are considered acceptable, I was under desperation last time I built so i paid no attention to what was going on in the x570 space.

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

The Corsair 5000 is looking good as cases go; I'm thinking to upgrade to one. It can take a pair of 360 radiators with one in top then a choice of side or front for the other.

• Water623
    Options

I'm starting to get the idea I'll have to go with a 30 lb case which I think is just barely acceptable since I dont think there are a lot of better options. Also is there a meaningful way I can reuse the 3070 I have on hand or should I just work on finding it a new home? Since I was under the pressure of no pc at all at the time it was a panic grab and id hate to have that kind of dead investment.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

Greetings @Water623,

For the radiators, specify what you need exactly. AIO or custom loop? I'm assuming a 360MM radiator? You doing two loops, or using an AIO and a GPU with an AIO? If you're just going with a 360MM radiator, throw in a Lian Li LanCOol II Mesh. You can fit a 360 in the front, and a 240 in the top. I believe for the chassis itself, it's 20lb or so.

As for motherboards. Depends entirely on what you're going for and what you're planning to do. If it's a custom loop, I assume overclocking. Any idea what CPU you're looking at?

• Water623
    Options

As I said I am using a 3950x for the cpu, im gonna do a custom loop because i need to blow off some steam. I'm just not sure how much space would maintain temperature. I dont want to spend time and effort sorting radiators and doing it twice.

As for motherboards, I am not really doing insane overclocking just trying to give the automatic stuff a little bit more room to stretch its legs. And the process of building it and finally getting the whole loop together is enough to clear my nerves.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99