Can I swap out Video Card on G464?

Options
Ceazy
Ceazy
Name Dropper First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Just recently purchased A Powerspec G464, having graphics card issues, rather not return the PC, but rather swap out graphics card with an Nvidia card if possible. Do you think this would be a problem?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, @Ceazy. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to swap the GPU from a Radeon RX5700 XT to an Nvidia graphics card of equivalent speed. Warranty support would only cover replacing the defective component with the exact same kind of GPU. 

If you prefer Nvidia GPU's with AMD processors, the closest performing system we would carry would be the PowerSpec G706. Keep in mind that this system comes with an 8 core 3700X, not a 12 core 3900X like the one configured in your G464 and comes with half of the memory. The plus side is that the G706 is $300 cheaper than the G464, so if you wanted to upgrade with the remaining difference in price, you'd have some spare budget left to do so.

If you'd like assistance to troubleshoot your graphics card issues, I'd be happy to help with that as well.
  • Ceazy
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, @Ceazy. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to swap the GPU from a Radeon RX5700 XT to an Nvidia graphics card of equivalent speed. Warranty support would only cover replacing the defective component with the exact same kind of GPU. 

If you prefer Nvidia GPU's with AMD processors, the closest performing system we would carry would be the PowerSpec G706. Keep in mind that this system comes with an 8 core 3700X, not a 12 core 3900X like the one configured in your G464 and comes with half of the memory. The plus side is that the G706 is $300 cheaper than the G464, so if you wanted to upgrade with the remaining difference in price, you'd have some spare budget left to do so.

If you'd like assistance to troubleshoot your graphics card issues, I'd be happy to help with that as well.
    Thanks, im not currently in front of my PC at the time but, im having A black screen upon reboot and When the monitor sleeps it loses connectivity with the PC. I guess I could try and turn off the sleep for the monitor but that doesnt fix my reboot issue. I have to manually unplug then plug the hdmi cable in several times before it will recognize the monitor and show something on the display.

I have updated the drivers by first clearing out the old ones. I also updated the BIOS and chipset. Not sure if its amd software issue or amd hardware issue, it seems to be a widespread issue. Do you know of any fixes?
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Ceazy said:

Thanks, im not currently in front of my PC at the time but, im having A black screen upon reboot and When the monitor sleeps it loses connectivity with the PC. I guess I could try and turn off the sleep for the monitor but that doesnt fix my reboot issue. I have to manually unplug then plug the hdmi cable in several times before it will recognize the monitor and show something on the display.

I have updated the drivers by first clearing out the old ones. I also updated the BIOS and chipset. Not sure if its amd software issue or amd hardware issue, it seems to be a widespread issue. Do you know of any fixes?
    This is certainly an odd one. Any solutions I can offer will depend on whether or not we can narrow down the issue. You've already ruled out  graphics drivers which is good as they are heavily ingrained in the sleep functionality of the system, so we shouldn't have to explore drivers any further. The BIOS update should have ruled out any weird C state issues if any were present, so I doubt we need to investigate any further in that area as well. This really only leaves a few options left. Those options being that Windows itself is having issues waking from sleep, the GPU itself is at fault, or the monitor is having EDID issues and is unable to wake from your video input when requested.

If the culprit is Windows itself, this is pretty easy to fix with a clean installation of Windows. Simply follow this guide to address the issue: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/11085/how-to-perform-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.

If the culprit is the video card itself, we can try reseating it or even installing it in a different PCIe slot, but if it turns out to be a hardware issue, the card will need to be replaced. 

If it turns out to be an EDID issue with your monitor, this can be a nightmare to address. It requires editing EDID information to fix any corruption that may have occurred. This is also extremely rare, so I am doubtful that this is the issue. You can always try a different monitor or even a television to rule this out, as if the issue persists with any other monitor you'll know it's not your monitor itself. If using another monitor resolves the issue, try a different cable just to be safe. If that doesn't fix it, I would advise returning or RMA'ing the monitor as it's going to be much easier than trying to fix EDID corruption.

If you do find yourself at your PC later, check the event viewer after you experience this sleep issue. Look for anything occurring under Windows Logs > System around the time of the issue and let us know what you see. It might help us narrow down the issue as well.
  • Ceazy
    Options
    Ceazy said:

This is certainly an odd one. Any solutions I can offer will depend on whether or not we can narrow down the issue. You've already ruled out  graphics drivers which is good as they are heavily ingrained in the sleep functionality of the system, so we shouldn't have to explore drivers any further. The BIOS update should have ruled out any weird C state issues if any were present, so I doubt we need to investigate any further in that area as well. This really only leaves a few options left. Those options being that Windows itself is having issues waking from sleep, the GPU itself is at fault, or the monitor is having EDID issues and is unable to wake from your video input when requested.

If the culprit is Windows itself, this is pretty easy to fix with a clean installation of Windows. Simply follow this guide to address the issue: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/11085/how-to-perform-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.

If the culprit is the video card itself, we can try reseating it or even installing it in a different PCIe slot, but if it turns out to be a hardware issue, the card will need to be replaced. 

If it turns out to be an EDID issue with your monitor, this can be a nightmare to address. It requires editing EDID information to fix any corruption that may have occurred. This is also extremely rare, so I am doubtful that this is the issue. You can always try a different monitor or even a television to rule this out, as if the issue persists with any other monitor you'll know it's not your monitor itself. If using another monitor resolves the issue, try a different cable just to be safe. If that doesn't fix it, I would advise returning or RMA'ing the monitor as it's going to be much easier than trying to fix EDID corruption.

If you do find yourself at your PC later, check the event viewer after you experience this sleep issue. Look for anything occurring under Windows Logs > System around the time of the issue and let us know what you see. It might help us narrow down the issue as well.
    Thanks will try this later when i get off work.
  • Ceazy
    Options
    Ceazy said:

Alright tried some things when I got home, verified I had the most up to date graphics driver, changed out the hdmi cord to the mini dp cord, also did the fresh install of Windows and made sure it was up to date. Did a restart and I didnt have a black screen finally, the next test is to wait for it to sleep and see if I can wake it without a black screen. If that happens then when have a winner and I will be happy.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99