Linux

Rubyblue
Rubyblue
First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
  Just upgraded to W10 Dec. 11th, seems the Windows license is about to expire!?!  I'm not pouring more $$down that way--the only reason I have a computer is for Quicken & TTax.  I'd like to jump ship to Linux, will it support my financial software?  At one am my Geek Squad Agent told me to go to any computer store & buy Linux on a CD to download, but after a few inquiries--that doesn't seem possible.  Can I buy a computer with Linux already installed?   Remember seeing a refurbished one like that some time ago.
  Thanks for any help you care to offer.  .  .

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hello @Rubyblue! Welcome to the Community. 

First things first, Windows licenses don't "expire." Once you buy it, you have it. Eventually an operating system may be retired, like with Windows XP and now Windows 7, but Windows 10 is still fully supported by Microsoft and won't be retired for quite a while. There's no reason you should have to switch to Linux. 

If you do want to switch, there are many different variations of Linux available, and it's not something you just walk in and buy at a store. Your best bet would be to look up Linux tutorials and explanations online or watch videos about it on Youtube. You can also go through https://www.linux.org/ to find various tutorials, downloads and other general information. 

We don't sell any systems with Linux on them already, and from what I can see online, neither Quicken nor TurboTax offer any Linux-specific versions you can use. 
  •    Thank you for your input.  So I can't use Linux if I wish to use Quicken & TT?  A Chromebook puts me in a similar dilemna unless I use the cloud.  Thanks, I appreciate.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell no. Neither of the software manufacturers have any official Linux versions of the software. 

There might be a way to make them work with Linux, but I have no idea how that would work unfortunately. 
  • This is the first community/self help where I've received a response.  I'm impressed and thank you for your support.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course! Glad to be of assistance. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.