CPU clock speed

I bought a Ryzen 9 3900x that is supposed to have a clock speed of 3.8 MHz ,but when I check the clock speed I am getting close to 4.5 MHz. I was wondering if this has something to do with the RAM I purchased and if it should be something I am worried about. The system seems stable over the last couple of days. I have not had any crashes and the the CPU does not get too hot from what I have noticed.

Thank you 

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    No, this is normal. 3.8Ghz is the operating frequency. It has a turbo speed up to 4.6Ghz. Generally it won't get to 4.6 at all or for long, and only on one core complex. It overclocks itself on demand. I'm not sure what you're monitoring clock frequency with, but if you're not using it, install Ryzen Master. It breaks it down by the core complexes and will make it a little easier to see what's going on with your processor.
  • DonniLiem
    DonniLiem
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Hi...i have experience with Intel. As per my reading the i3-3220, despite having a faster clock speed of 3.3GHz , only has 2 Physical Cores , only has a ~0.5MB L2 Cache and 3MB L3 Cache, and a low TDP of 55W. On the other hand, the i5-2310, despite having the only 2.9GHz base clock speed, can boost up to 3.2GHz, has 4 Physical Cores, with ~1MB L2 Cache and 6MB L3 Cache, and has a higher TDP of 95W.

smt assembly
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99