PC shuts off randomly after being on for a while and won't restart unless PSU is reset

Options
Nik
Nik
First Comment
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
So recently I upgraded my M.2 SSD to a 500gb WD Black from a 120gb Inland M.2.  I cloned my operating system to the new drive and then I removed the old drive.  Then all the sudden after a while of the PC being on it's just shuts off.  The RGB will stay lit on MOBO but other than that everything else shuts off and the computer will not turn back on unless I switch to PSU switch off and then back on.  The problems happens regardless what I'm doing on the PC, but it happens much faster if I'm gaming.  I have taken the following actions attempting to fix the issue: 

1. Completely wipe drive and reinstalled Windows.
2. Completely took PC apart and cleaned all components.
3. Rewired everything and removed all "extra" things that are not need, RGB, custom cable extensions, storage drives, etc.
4. Bought a new CPU cooler because I thought it may have been a thermal issue, but CPU doesn't get above 65°C and GPU doesn't break 60°C.
5. Tried using different M.2 slot.

System:
Gigiabyte Aorus B450 Pro WiFi
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Gigiabyte RTX2070 Super Windforce
EVGA 650BQ Bronze Certified PSU
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 16GB
WD Black M.2 500gb
Inland SATA SSD 1tb
Coolermaster Masterbox Case

ADD:

Screenshot from my event viewer, looks like it may be PSU related?

Best Answer

Answers

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    It could certainly be PSU related, but it's hard to say for sure. If it happens faster while gaming, I would assume it's likely video-card related, but the only real way to find out would be testing another video card. 

Have you tried running the Windows Memory Diagnostic or MemTest86 to check for memory issues? I think that'd be a good first step. You could also test with the original drive again just to see if maybe the new drive is having an issue, if you haven't already. 

Otherwise, the only real way to test would be swapping out components. 
  • Nik
    Options
    Well I ran both memory tests and they said no issues but the PC crashed right after.  I tried swapping back to the old SSD, which has been wiped so actually trying to boot from the Windows install USB drive, and now it won't even post before crashing in the same manner.  Swapped out memory as well, and tried booting with just one stick.  I've had zero issues with this PC since I built it less than a year ago until now.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Alright. I think that's a pretty good indication of a hardware issue. If the memory tests came back fine and going with a single stick didn't help either, I'd say it's probably not that. 

I'd say the most likely culprits are the PSU and motherboard, but without testing other components we can't know for sure. If you'd like, you're welcome to bring your computer to the repair desk at your local store and we can run a diagnostic to figure out what the issue is. 
  • Nik
    Options
    Thanks for all you're help, I'm probably just going to use this as an excuse to upgrade a X570 board and I will just get a new PSU is the process.

Thanks again
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99