Help Upgrading RAM

Options
Hello, I'm not a super tech savvy person, but I'm good at putting stuff together - That being said, I followed a build/parts list off another site and the PC has been working fine for the past year or 2, but I need more RAM, why the initial build was 2x4gb sticks, I'm not sure. Here are my current specs:
Gigabyte H310M A, Patriot viper ddr4 8gb (2x4gb) 2666MHz pc4-21300 dual channel, msi rx580 8G OC, and corsair CX550 power supply. (not including my hard-drives). 
I looked on gigabyte website and the mobo can accept more RAM, but I'm not sure if I can just get any of the 2666MHz listed or do I need a certain type?
Gigabyte link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H310M-A-rev-10/support#support-doc
Thank you for any help you can give.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    The RAM QVL lists manufacturers give are basically just a "we tested these and these modules are guaranteed to be compatible, assuming no other hardware issues." Just because a kit is not on that list, doesn't mean it won't work. Realistically, any DDR4 kit should work with your motherboard, but there's always a small chance of a compatibility issue if it's not on that QVL list. 
  • Mtrip
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    The RAM QVL lists manufacturers give are basically just a "we tested these and these modules are guaranteed to be compatible, assuming no other hardware issues." Just because a kit is not on that list, doesn't mean it won't work. Realistically, any DDR4 kit should work with your motherboard, but there's always a small chance of a compatibility issue if it's not on that QVL list. 
    Ah okay, I was wondering if the other components affected the compatibility. Good to know and thank you for the reply. Do you have any reccomendations for a product choice?
    I'm not crazy hardcore gaming, but can barely have 15 chrome tabs open and other applications running without maxing my memory right now. I'm assuming adding the new RAM should be easy or I can find how to with some research.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Mtrip said:
    TSTonyV said:
    Ah okay, I was wondering if the other components affected the compatibility. Good to know and thank you for the reply. Do you have any reccomendations for a product choice?
    I'm not crazy hardcore gaming, but can barely have 15 chrome tabs open and other applications running without maxing my memory right now. I'm assuming adding the new RAM should be easy or I can find how to with some research.
    Your board only supports up to 2666mhz, so you can save some money and avoid buying the pre-overclocked memory. Since you have a total of 2 DIMM slots, the biggest kit you can use is a 2x16GB kit. This would be my recommendation: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618846/crucial-ballistix-gaming-32gb-(2-x-16gb)-ddr4-2666-pc4-21300-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-bl2k16g26c16u4b---black

If you want to stick with 16GB, you can get a 2x8GB kit for roughly half the price: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618845/crucial-ballistix-gaming-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-2666-pc4-21300-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-bl2k8g26c16u4b---black

As for the installation, it's definitely one of the easier components to install. Simply line the notches of the memory up with the notch on the motherboard, sit your memory in the grooved slot, then press firmly until you hear the top retention mechanism click into place. Repeat for the second DIMM and you're good to go.
  • Mtrip
    Mtrip
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Mtrip said:
    TSTonyV said:
    Your board only supports up to 2666mhz, so you can save some money and avoid buying the pre-overclocked memory. Since you have a total of 2 DIMM slots, the biggest kit you can use is a 2x16GB kit. This would be my recommendation: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618846/crucial-ballistix-gaming-32gb-(2-x-16gb)-ddr4-2666-pc4-21300-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-bl2k16g26c16u4b---black

If you want to stick with 16GB, you can get a 2x8GB kit for roughly half the price: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618845/crucial-ballistix-gaming-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-2666-pc4-21300-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-bl2k8g26c16u4b---black

As for the installation, it's definitely one of the easier components to install. Simply line the notches of the memory up with the notch on the motherboard, sit your memory in the grooved slot, then press firmly until you hear the top retention mechanism click into place. Repeat for the second DIMM and you're good to go.
    Thank you! And for the installation I figured would be that, maybe I'll have to go into my BIOS and change the settings, but maybe not since they're on the mobo, not the RAM. I have it set to 2666mHz, bad idea? Is that overclocking...the mobo? Not sure if that's a thing.

Also, I had thought that if you add more RAM than your system can use is pointless? Or would more RAM help with programs that aren't games; like browsing. editing, etc.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Mtrip said:
    Mtrip said:
    TSTonyV said:

Thank you! And for the installation I figured would be that, maybe I'll have to go into my BIOS and change the settings, but maybe not since they're on the mobo, not the RAM. I have it set to 2666mHz, bad idea? Is that overclocking...the mobo? Not sure if that's a thing.

Also, I had thought that if you add more RAM than your system can use is pointless? Or would more RAM help with programs that aren't games; like browsing. editing, etc.
    Typically, a motherboard will automatically run DDR4  RAM at 2133, and anything beyond would technically be considered "overclocking," and it's overclocking your RAM specifically, not the board. It's not a bad idea, RAM speed can definitely improve your performance and it usually doesn't cause any issues. There is a chance that there could be some stability problems, because that's just the nature of overclocking, but for the most part you can just turn on XMP and call it a day. 

You are correct, adding more RAM than your system is capable of using is pointless and won't lead to any performance benefits. The easiest way to tell if you need more RAM would be to open up task manager while you're using your system and see if your RAM utilization gets close to 100%. If it is getting that high, then adding more would be beneficial. If it's not, then I wouldn't worry about it. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99