PSU suggestions

Options
C0v3rt_X
C0v3rt_X ✭✭
First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
edited June 2021 in Cases and Power Supplies
Hello everyone. So at the time, I had a budget for a SeaSonic Focus Gold 650 watt and purchased it for my ITX build. I have plans to scale my ITX setup in the future. Can I use the same cables that is in my system now but swap the PSU unit for a SeaSonic Focus Gold 750 watt? I don't think this should be a power issue but let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    I would caution against using cables from different power supplies, even if they're from the same manufacturer or the same line of PSUs. There's no guarantee the pinouts match and you could potentially fry your entire setup if the cables don't match up exactly. 

Unless you can absolutely 100% confirm that the cables are identical, don't take the risk. 
  • C0v3rt_X
    C0v3rt_X ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    I would caution against using cables from different power supplies, even if they're from the same manufacturer or the same line of PSUs. There's no guarantee the pinouts match and you could potentially fry your entire setup if the cables don't match up exactly. 

Unless you can absolutely 100% confirm that the cables are identical, don't take the risk. 

Ok thank you for the post. I ask this because I did some nice cable management but no harm if I have to undo it.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    You can verify with the manufacturer, but with Seasonic you should be fine using the same cables between those units. The thing to watch out for here is most power supply manufacturers, don't actually produce their own power supplies. So they'll use different OEM's for different PSU's. Seasonic is the exception, they produce their own power supplies and I would consider them a premium power supply OEM as well. They do produce power supplies and parts for a lot of manufacturers and typically on their high end units.

If you ever do plug in an incompatible modular cable into a power supply, typically what you'll get is no power, and a solenoid switch sound when you press the power button.
  • C0v3rt_X
    Options
    TSMikeW said:
    You can verify with the manufacturer, but with Seasonic you should be fine using the same cables between those units. The thing to watch out for here is most power supply manufacturers, don't actually produce their own power supplies. So they'll use different OEM's for different PSU's. Seasonic is the exception, they produce their own power supplies and I would consider them a premium power supply OEM as well. They do produce power supplies and parts for a lot of manufacturers and typically on their high end units.

If you ever do plug in an incompatible modular cable into a power supply, typically what you'll get is no power, and a solenoid switch sound when you press the power button.

Thank you both for your comments! I will keep that in mind when the time comes.
  • C0v3rt_X
    C0v3rt_X ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I sold my 650W seasonic and gotten an EVGA 750W GT.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99