I have an early 2008 iMac, works but slow. Can the HD be replaced by an SSD? How long will it take?

I am trying to decide whether to refurbish it or recycle it.  I mostly use it for work, not any gaming or streaming.  Other than not being able to update the OS, (it is OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6), it works fine.  Please advise.

Answers

• For Michele, above, the iMac is an early 2008.  Looking to get rid of HD and replace with SSD, if possible; as well as clean the inside, (likely very dsty).
  • Michele said:
    I am trying to decide whether to refurbish it or recycle it.  I mostly use it for work, not any gaming or streaming.  Other than not being able to update the OS, (it is OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6), it works fine.  Please advise.

I'd personally recycle it or sell it to eBay. A 12 year old MAC. Chances are, the SATA cable is not capable enough to run the SSD at full speeds hence it will be a bottleneck. I am not a MAC person but #PCMasterRace ;) . Anyways, that it what I would do. Backup your files then recycle it to get a new system.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited June 2020
    I'm going to agree with C0v3rt here, it's probably better to look at just picking up a newer system. An SSD replacement for an iMac is probably not doable, because if I remember correctly, there are temperature sensors in iMac hard drives that you cannot use with an SSD that prevents you from installing one normally. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99