Load VGA BIOS

SchoolBusesC2
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
Hello all,

After booting, I get a error that says "Load VGA BIOS." My motherboard is the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula and my GPU is the ASUS ROG 2070 Super Advanced. I am currently on the latest motherboard BIOS (2010).

I have tried the following:
  • Resetting the CMOS
  • Updating the BIOS (to 2010)
  • Reseating the GPU
  • Trying the other PCIe slot
What does this error mean? And what should I do to fix it? If you need any other information, please ask.

Thanks,
Owen

EDIT:

I do not have SLI which seems to be causing most of the problems.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Are you actually getting this on screen as an error message or are you getting a QCODE? Do you have another GPU you can test with?
  • SchoolBusesC2
    edited June 2020
    Hello,
    It is a Q-Code displayed on the OLED display. And no I unfortunately do not have another GPU to test with. If I did I probably would have tested by now.
    Also, I got two different responses from the ASUS L2 support. One is that the GPU is faulty, one is the motherboard is faulty.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Hello,
    It is a Q-Code displayed on the OLED display. And no I unfortunately do not have another GPU to test with. If I did I probably would have tested by now.
    Also, I got two different responses from the ASUS L2 support. One is that the GPU is faulty, one is the motherboard is faulty.
    How long have you been having this issue? I've only ever encountered it when running multiple GPU's and playing with the "Above 4G Decoding" setting within the BIOS.

I'd start by reseating the CPU, making sure there is no debris within the motherboard socket and that all of the CPU pins look good. Since your CPU still supplies PCIe lanes to specific slots on your motherboard, this will help narrow down the CPU as a potential culprit. Since you've already ruled out the PCIe slots themselves, I'd look into the PSU next. Make sure the 12V PCIe cables are plugged in snug into their respective connectors (if PSU is modular, check there too). If you have a spare PSU to test with, that might be worth investigating as well as the card can't handle power from just the 75W supplied by the motherboard itself.

Ruling those factors out, it would require having spare hardware to proceed much further, so it may be worth bringing in should you still receive that post code when attempting to boot. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99