6K Video Editing Build

Hey guys,
I have my own productuon company and most of my footage is shot on an S1-H at 4k 10-bit. It's super intensive on my machine and I'm going to be spending alot on a new build as the S1-H will soon get an update to support 12-bit 6k, which my current set up will struggle with.

To begin, I'll be getting a 32-core 3970x threadripper. I'm also planning on getting a 2080ti with 11gb of Vram after seeing it's performance on Pugent's benchmarks for premire. 

I need help choosing a motherboard, for AMD's Trx40 platform all of the motherboards seem excellent. I want to know however, what's best for my usage of an editing workstation. I see the Aorus trx40 xtreme is sold out everywhere, and I'm not sure why/what all the fuss is about. I am also looking at the msi creator trx40 and the asus rog zenith ii alpha, but just want to make sure I'm buying the best option. Otherwise, if there is another board you guys this is best.

I'm planning on buying some aorus pcie gen 4 m.2 storage as well, unless anyone has any other suggestions. 

My budget for the computer I would prefer to keep under $6k if that helps. Let me know, and thanks for the help!

-Arthur

Answers

• Hey guys,
    I have my own productuon company and most of my footage is shot on an S1-H at 4k 10-bit. It's super intensive on my machine and I'm going to be spending alot on a new build as the S1-H will soon get an update to support 12-bit 6k, which my current set up will struggle with.

To begin, I'll be getting a 32-core 3970x threadripper. I'm also planning on getting a 2080ti with 11gb of Vram after seeing it's performance on Pugent's benchmarks for premire. 

I need help choosing a motherboard, for AMD's Trx40 platform all of the motherboards seem excellent. I want to know however, what's best for my usage of an editing workstation. I see the Aorus trx40 xtreme is sold out everywhere, and I'm not sure why/what all the fuss is about. I am also looking at the msi creator trx40 and the asus rog zenith ii alpha, but just want to make sure I'm buying the best option. Otherwise, if there is another board you guys this is best.

I'm planning on buying some aorus pcie gen 4 m.2 storage as well, unless anyone has any other suggestions. 

My budget for the computer I would prefer to keep under $6k if that helps. Let me know, and thanks for the help!

-Arthur
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hello @Arthur! Welcome to the Community. 

I think when it comes to TRX40 motherboards, the main question you should have is what type of connectivity and features you need. Gamers Nexus on Youtube has a good breakdown of various TRX40 motherboards with an overview on features they offer. I'd recommend watching it as they'll go over several different TRX40 motherboards that should be good quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT41-TdvF4c
  • I guess I was more so looking for a recommendation based on my type of usage. I've already seen the video but to be honest I can't really differentiate the motherboards I've listed.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    In terms of performance, there won't be any real differences between the motherboards. One board isn't going to make your CPU run drastically better or anything like that. It really is just about what kind of features you want or need on the motherboard, best is going to be subjective and based on other factors. 

Based on your original description it sounds like you're only running one GPU and one or two M.2 drives so any of the boards would work. Without knowing what kind of other connectivity you need or what type of network environment you're working it's hard to recommend any specific one. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99