Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC

Laptop - MSI 7th GEN CPU , GTX1050 , 8 RAM

I recently reset my PC and once it reboot back to the Welcome screen like it does when you start a new computer. After inputing all the information needed to go to the main home screen and restarting the computer after, it started off with the MSI logo and then at the bottom it said "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "Diagnosing your PC" and then sent me to a blue screen that says,
Automatic Repair
Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC
Press "Advance options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC.
Log file: E:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

I have tried pretty much all the Advance Options it gives me and it won't allow me to do anything. For example when I go to Troubleshoot - Reset this PC, it says "there was a problem reseting your pc." Or Troubleshoot - Startup Settings - Safe Mode, it restarts computer and takes me back to the "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC."

I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Simplest solution here is to create bootable media from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then to reinstall windows from that media. Alternatively if you want to repair the install, we'll need some information on what's in that SrtTrail.txt.

Go back into recovery and open command line. Make sure you attach a flash drive to the system. We need to see what the volume labels are. Type:

diskpart
    list vol
    - This should show you the volumes and the volume letters for Recovery and for the flash drive. Recovery should retain E, lets assume the flash drive is G:.

Type:
    exit

Now we're back to command prompt. We need to switch to E:. Type:

E:
    cd Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\
    copy srttrail.txt G:

File should be moved to the flash drive. Eject it and upload it here, we'll see what's going on. 
  • TSMikeW said:
    Simplest solution here is to create bootable media from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then to reinstall windows from that media. Alternatively if you want to repair the install, we'll need some information on what's in that SrtTrail.txt.

Go back into recovery and open command line. Make sure you attach a flash drive to the system. We need to see what the volume labels are. Type:

diskpart
    list vol
    - This should show you the volumes and the volume letters for Recovery and for the flash drive. Recovery should retain E, lets assume the flash drive is G:.

Type:
    exit

Now we're back to command prompt. We need to switch to E:. Type:

E:
    cd Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\
    copy srttrail.txt G:

File should be moved to the flash drive. Eject it and upload it here, we'll see what's going on. 
    Okay so I have been trying to find a friend or someone with a Windows computer but I have no luck. Can I download the Windows link on a Mac? 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Sure, OSX will work fine. Depends on the age of the system and how you want to boot. For MBR use bootcamp assistant to create a bootable flash drive, then extract the contents of the ISO onto it. Main problem with bootcamp assistant is it'll format the drive to FAT32 and the install.wim may be too large for this file system. So you either split it, or use the generated bootcamp files and move them to the flash drive afterwards. If it's a newer board and you're going to want to enabler CSM in the BIOS. For UEFI it has to see the default path, EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.efi. Just keep in mind the file system needs to be something Windows can read and not Mac OS journaled. 

There are a ton of guides online if you search for "Creating Windows 10 bootable media OSX". I'll see if we can't elaborate on this and work on a guide of our own.
  • Hey there, okay so I was able to download it through a windows computer. Once I boot the usb and went through a few steps, I got stuck on this one shown on the image bellow.
    I am going to wait till I get a response from you to move ahead. Also, you want me to go through the command line process before doing this or after installing windows?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    I'm seeing two drives. Looks like a 1TB drive with two partitions. The BigFIles 910GB and the BIOS_RVY 20GB partition. Then you have the second drive, looks like a 120GB SSD with four partitions. System, MSR, Windows and WINRE. This drive has an OS on it. If you're trying to install to the 120GB and you don't want to save any data on it, delete those four partitions then install to the Drive 1 Unallocated Space.
  • Awesome! It worked! everything is running again! thank you so much for the time and patience! I really appreciate it! Do you still need me to run the command prompt for you?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    No, you should be good to go. Let us know if you need anything else.
  • Hello can someone help me with the 

H:/Recovery/WindowsRE/Winre.wim/System32/Logfiles/Srt/SrtTrail.txt - Startup Repair Loop 

Issue how to fix it?
  • Hello @Pluisje just chiming in. There are a few things you can do. The last option would be to do a pc reset and remove everything, which means you'll lose all your data, but windows will reinstall itself from scratch. We can talk about PC reset later.

First try this.

Make sure the pc is on. Then hold in he power button for 20 seconds. Everything will shut off, but keep holding in the power button for 20 seconds. After 20 seconds restart the computer to see if it will boot into windows.

If it does not go into windows when it reboots, hold in the power button for 10 seconds to turn computer off.

Try this:

Turn the computer on, once you see the first thing on the screen, IMMEDIATELY hold in the power button for 10 seconds to turn computer back off. REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES.

Doing this by turning on and off the pc 3 times will get you into the windows troubleshooting screen.

ON the 4TH pc turn on TRY, don't power off pc, wait for it to get to the Blue Windows troubleshoot screen.

Select TROUBLESHOOT then ADVANCED OPTIONS then STARTUP SETTINGS. Then hit Restart, you'll want to see if it will let you get into safe mode. When the options comes up, choose F5 for safe mode with networking.

Let us know if it allows you into safe mode. There will be more steps from there if it does.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99