Display sometimes won't turn on after sleep

Hi! I have an Acer Aspire A715-71G-554N with Windows 10 installed. About 3 week ago, I think, my laptop's display began occasionally not coming on after being woken from sleep. The only way I've found to get it to come on is to turn the laptop off and on or to change a setting in the display settings. In the display settings, I noticed that the laptop display was set to 'Disconnect this display" in the "Multiple displays" drop down menu. Once I switch the option to "Extend desktop to this display," the laptop display comes on. I'm not sure what's causing the display to disconnect while in sleep.

As far as I know, there has been only 1 major hit against the display. About 2 months ago, it suffered a drop from a couple feet up and landed on the side of the display. The only noticeable effect was that the plastic border surrounding the screen popped out. The wires and everything else seemed fine and I was able to simply pop the plastic back in. I'm sure, though, that this is somehow related to my problem.

I have already run chkdsk (no issues were found) and updated Intel and Nvidia drivers. I think this issue is definitely hardware-related. Assuming I can't fix this myself, is this something Micro Center could repair?

If there's any more information or clarification needed, I'd be glad to provide. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs
    Greetings. After reading through your description, I am going to assume it's something wrong with cabling or hardware at this point, so it's something I would recommend having checked out by someone in person and our Micro Center stores can assist with that. An appointment is not needed for service, there may be some available online at https://www.microcenter.com/site/service/service.aspx Otherwise please visit the store with the computer and charger/power cable for assistance, store hours are 10am until 7pm Mon-Sat (although Saturday, July 4th is only 10am-6pm), 11am-6pm Sun. 
  • Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take it to my local store soon.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    If you would like a few other things to try. The next time this happens try to reset the display driver. Windows + Control + Shift + B. You'll hear a beep. If it doesn't come back, it's hardware. I'd take it apart and reseat the cable between the monitor and motherboard. It's clipped and generally pretty secure but it's possible it was just knocked loose.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, @TSMikeW. I'm not sure that I want to poke around any wires, but that does sound very simple so I may try it. I'll definitely reset the display driver next time it happens.
  • NedTheWise
    edited July 2020
    I took the laptop to Micro Center, but they were unable to reproduce the issue. They told me it passed all their tests and that the cabling seemed fine. The same day I got it back though, the monitor again refused to turn on after the laptop was awoken from sleep. And today, a few hours ago the laptop automatically went into sleep mode. I decided to let it sit for a while to see if it would turn back on. It didn't, so I turned it off completely, and then powered it back on. Then, white zig-zag bars flashed on the display for about 5 seconds. After a while, the screen was still blank, so I turned it off and on again. On this boot up, the screen flashed white repeatedly before going blank. I let it sit for a little and then turned it off and on again. This time, it booted up as normal.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    I took the laptop to Micro Center, but they were unable to reproduce the issue. They told me it passed all their tests and that the cabling seemed fine. The same day I got it back though, the monitor again refused to turn on after the laptop was awoken from sleep. And today, a few hours ago the laptop automatically went into sleep mode. I decided to let it sit for a while to see if it would turn back on. It didn't, so I turned it off completely, and then powered it back on. Then, white zig-zag bars flashed on the display for about 5 seconds. After a while, the screen was still blank, so I turned it off and on again. On this boot up, the screen flashed white repeatedly before going blank. I let it sit for a little and then turned it off and on again. This time, it booted up as normal.
    If something is loose internally, it's entirely possible that it just happened to work fine while we had it because it was in the right spot, then the issue came back when you brought it back home  because things got jostled around again. 

If the issue persists, I'd say bring it back in and let us take another look. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99