AMD build Kernel Security Check BSOD windows 10

Hello, 
New AMD build having intermittent BSOD and kernel security check error on windows 10. Sometimes BSOD in 30 minutes or 3 hours when playing games. PC first wouldn't even boot with DRAM and CPU mobo lights on. I went to the microcenter and they said it could be the motherboard, RAM, PSU, or CPU. Microcenter had a shortage of motherboards so I exchanged new DDR memory and it powered on. I installed all the drivers and updated bios, and used XMP settings for RAM. There is still a BSOD for kernel security check. I went through a few troubleshooting guides to reinstall all drivers and test each individual stick of memory. I'm still getting BSOD, not sure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated. 
Thanks
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Matisse 3.8GHz 6-Core AM4
  • ASRock X570M PRO4 AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600
  • PowerSpec 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX
  • PowerColor Radeon RX 5600 XT Red Devil Overclocked Dual-Fan
  • Inland Premium 1TB SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 

Comments

• I also updated GPU firmware
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    There a good tool that's free for viewing BSOD's on your system: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.zip

Post a screenshot of what you're seeing in bluescreenview. Also, highlight each instance, we need to see what file it referencing as the cause of the crash and if it's consistent.
  • I notice ntoskrnl.exe shows up in each of the entries.
  • sometimes a dump files is not created.
  • nickerz
    nickerz ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2020
    the most recent restart did not get a BSOD, it was a black screen and the monitor said no signal was coming from the display port
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    nickerz said:

This is interesting. If you look at "caused by driver", it's pointing towards the Microsoft DirectX driver as well as the AMD display driver. Your previous bluescreens show one for a Marvell wireless adapter (MRVW24C) and a BSOD for the network driver in general (NDIS). 

nickerz said:
    the most recent restart did not get a BSOD, it was a black screen and the monitor said no signal was coming from the display port
    Your most recent BSOD's appear to be pointing to your GPU or AMD drivers. I would advise rolling that graphics driver back and see if that helps at all. As much as I'd hate to suggest it, it might even be worth reinstalling the OS to rule out any corruption from within Windows. That will help rule out any weird software issues.
  • I already did 2 Windows 10 fresh install.
    I am not using that wireless adapter and that seemed to fix MRVW24C. 
    I uninstalled AMD Display adapter and used AMD Cleanup Utility and installed the latest AMD radeon adrenalin graphics drivers. 
    Let's see if that fixes things?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    We see the GPU driver referenced in one, but looking at the whole list, it's random, it's not consistent at all. Which says instability to me. In the event viewer, what's the volmgr error say? Also, start by running your windows memory diagnostics. We'll see if we get any failures there.
  • I ran the full windows memory scan that took ~6 hours and it all passed. 
    volmgr message: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Inaccessible drive on an NVME drive. That's a clue. Do you have another HDD you can install an OS on to test with?
  • I don't have another drive to test with. What test should I run? Can a usb drive be used? 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    We need to run the OS on something else, that's going to be our most effective test at this point.  The easiest test at this point is to add another drive, set it up and run it normally for 24 hours. See if the problems gone. It's a guess at this point, but this is what we have evidence to support.
  • I don't have another drive to test with currently. I'll have to get one. I filtered on critical and error in event viewer. Any ideas what these messages mean?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Bug check code is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. So another reference to the video card. System becomes unresponsive, can't write a memory dump after the BSOD. You've got an NVME drive. Common thread here is the PCIe bus.
  • I replaced ASRock X570M PRO4 AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard with an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-plus wi-fi motherboard.
    The Asus Tuf didn't come with any screws?????? I went to go get screws.
    Reformat SSD, used xmp memory profile, Reinstalled windows 10, drivers, updated windows 10, and updated firmware/bios.
    There was an Error in event viewer for AsusUpdateCheck and I filtered for some errors and critical.
    The AsusUpdateCheck service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control. 
    Event ID: 7043

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Pretty generic error. So long as the previous issue is resolved I wouldn't be concerned about. All it says is the program hung on the background on shutdown. I don't install it myself, but unless you go into the BIOS and disable armory crate it will install ASUSUpdate and push updates to your system automatically.
  • spoke too soon. Computer froze when playing a game with Critical Kernel Power Error with no blue screen. Thoughts? 
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs
    That's a fairly generic error. What are your temperatures like when playing games / under load? 
  • nickerz
    nickerz ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2020
    I don't think the load was very high. I setup LED lights to show green for temperature load, and yellow and red for higher temperatures.
    When I was playing all the LEDs were green. Unless there was an unexpected spike?
    I did a fresh windows 10 install again, and got another blue screen.
  • I installed the newest AMD 5600 xt drivers already, so I'm not sure what would be causing this :( thoughts?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    We're back to the VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BSOD. Which based on the other errors I've seen I'm interpreting as an indicator of instability or another issue than it actually being the video card. You've got the NVME drive so the PCIE bus seems to be our common theme. We need to start swapping parts out. I'd start with the drive, then video card and finally motherboard.
  • I'm trying to switch out the NVME drive by making a backup on an external drive so I don't have to reinstall all the drivers again. But I'm getting a 0x8007042D error that is stopping the creation of a system image. Any thoughts? 
  • I went to get another NVME drive, installed windows, updated BIOS, installed drivers and it seems to be working so far. 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Wasn't in the office for the last few days and didn't see your response. I think that goes back to the possible drive issues and I wouldn't image it given the state the OS possibly was in after so many crashes. Indicates a problem with the backup service. You could use something like Macrium Reflect and backup an image to restore. Keep any eye on it and let us know if  you have any other issues.
  • nope, just had another crash, :(
    Guess I'll try replacing the graphics card
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    That's the most logical course of action at this point. Let us know if the issues persist.
  • I've been looking up 5600 xt driver crashes online. I thought the driver updates were supposed to fix all these crash issues? Have you seen many reports of 5600 and 5700 crashes? 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Yes, I've seen a number of driver crashes with 5000 series cards that seemed to be hardware related, along with cards that just under-performed inexplicably. Whether it's higher than your typical GPU failure rate is difficult to say. Keep in mind, we work in technical support. We only really hear about things when they're not working properly.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99