Computer KIND OF shuts down?

I have had my system lose signal to the monitors and the keyboard and mouse did not work but all the fans and RGB lighting was still on and holding the power button on the case for 4 seconds will not turn it off and the reset button does not work, had to flip the PSU on/off switch to get it to power down. After turning PSU switch back on the power button on the case worked fine. This has happened during gaming and just web browsing. I have since updated the BIOS and have no problems so far. The following was the Event Viewer log entry. Also, even set at all default settings in the BIOS my VDDC CPU voltages keep going above 1.4v.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          7/20/2020 1:33:57 AM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DESKTOP-MOJQ8CK
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-07-20T05:33:57.702510000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>39942</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-MOJQ8CK</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">6</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">3221225684</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">16</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">1</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited July 2020
    I have a couple questions for some clarification:

What CPU and motherboard are you using, and what are you using to read your voltages? Is it a program like Aida64 or Ryzen Master within Windows, or is this setting showing in your BIOS?

Edit: Actually, I looked up your email and found a purchase from back in February for an ASUS X470-Pro Prime and a Ryzen 5 2600x. Is that the system you're referring to? I assume you meant VDDCR CPU Voltage. AMD increases voltage while reducing amperage to maintain boost clocks while lowering the power draw of the CPU on their Ryzen chips, so that's completely normal. 
  • Yes, those are my mobo and cpu. I am using Hardware Monitor. Also when in Ryzen Master it showed the following in red letters. EDC (CPU) 99% of 125 A, Limit 255 A. Thank youfor responding so quickly.  :)
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    tfawns1 said:
    Yes, those are my mobo and cpu. I am using Hardware Monitor. Also when in Ryzen Master it showed the following in red letters. EDC (CPU) 99% of 125 A, Limit 255 A. Thank youfor responding so quickly.  :)
    EDC is the Electrical Design Current which designates the power draw through your motherboards VRM's to the CPU. Double check your power plans and make sure you are using Windows balanced plan, not Ryzen's balanced plan. The Ryzen balance plan used to be unique in that it could offer better performance and efficiency with Precision Boost Overdrive, but Microsoft was able to add the same feature via a Windows update, so you don't want both double dipping trying to manage your processors power state.

As for why it is locking up, that doesn't seem normal. I notice you've had your system for several months now, has this been an ongoing issue or just a recent occurrence? Any recent updates, hardware upgrades or overclocking done that may coincide with the timeframe of these crashes? Lastly, I notice you have 3200mhz DDR4 memory, does the crashing occur when you disable your XMP/DOCP profile? Once we can narrow down and isolate the issue, we can work together to try to resolve it.
  • tfawns1
    tfawns1 ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2020
    It just started doing it in the last week or so. I have not overclocked the CPU but with the optimized defaults set in the BIOS the clock speed runs from 4050Mhz to 4684Mhz while watching YouTube videos. I DID have the DOCP enabled until the lock ups started but since I put everything back to default and disabled DOCP it has not happened again. I also downloaded the kernal-power.dll to make sure the one I had was not corrupted. Should I disable Precision Boost Overdrive then? Ok, I disabled PBO and went into Windows and picked a balanced power profile, but while I was in there I saw an option for a Ryzen CPU power plan. Should I use that instead? Thank you.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would stick with Windows balanced power profile as it does the same thing as the Ryzen plan now, albeit a tad bit more efficient. The fact that you have not crashed since disabling DOCP is interesting, but lets go ahead and enable both DOCP and PBO and see if the crashing persists after adjusting just the power plan. We only want to change one thing at a time so we can determine what the issue is, then we can try to remedy that issue with additional changes.
  • Ok! Looks like it was just the power plans conflicting with each other. I enabled DOCP and PBO and I was able to play CoD: Modern Warfare for about 2 hours with no issues. And the EDC was below 60%. Thanks for the help, I never would have thought of the power plan messing with my system like that.  :)
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    tfawns1 said:
    Ok! Looks like it was just the power plans conflicting with each other. I enabled DOCP and PBO and I was able to play CoD: Modern Warfare for about 2 hours with no issues. And the EDC was below 60%. Thanks for the help, I never would have thought of the power plan messing with my system like that.  :)
    Happy to hear things are working out! This wouldn't have been a problem for you on an older version of Windows 10, but recent updates have made things a little tricky when it comes to power management. Overall it's for the best as it helps maintain a consistent experience, especially if you would have forgotten to enable the Ryzen power plan in the past. 

I wish you the best of luck with your system, and remember: Be kind, don't use the 725 :P
  • Thanks again for your help! :)
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99