Thoughts on what could be the problem?

I was stuck on a boot loop with a EVGA 1200w P2 PSU intially.. it wasn't posting AT ALL..
so what i did was unplug the network adapter, my keyboard + mouse etc. to get it to post.. and even then it was having issues.. did a cmos clear multiple times.. (this was the only way to get it to post)..
I could only get it to post with a cmos clear and only with just the m2 drive in and all other sata drives unplugged (the ssds and hdd). ---- sata6 and something else is disabled when you have m2 installed if im not mistaken (but i've just got 4 slots taken anyway if i were to plug them in)

--also this is on a fresh copy of w10, i also disabled wake device up on network adapters, usb, etc. in device manager and disabled fast boot.. bc even when trying to shut off the computer, the only way to actually shut it off was to pull out the plug bc the fans and led would remain on.. problem is.. the only way to actually boot was to have that "standby' mode on to boot.. the computer has issues coming out of a cold boot for whatever reason..

anyway, after a few days of doing this i got fed up and returned the PSU.. (this was after troubleshooting .. updating bios, installing drivers, testing each ram stick, etc.) also noticed my AIO wasnt turning on sometimes and  that it wasn't being detected on device manager..
anyway, tried with a Corsair RM750x, and the computer was able to power up successfully but without the thunderbolt expansion that was included with the mobo.. so i returned the psu and got the Corsair RM1000x..
I was able to power up fine.. again without the thunderbolt expansion.. was happy that it could power up all my drives. so i wanted to test XMP with the AI optimized settings from bios..
Here were the benchmarks for it, https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31033022 (i'm aware its not a good benchmark)
Results were fine but, when i restarted the computer, i noticed the RGB on my fans didn't turn on. And so after noticing that, I shut down the computer and hit the I/O switch in the back.. then powered the computer back on.. the LCD on the kraken z73 didn't power on this time (this also happened alot with the previous PSU), and the RGB on the fans also didn't turn on but it was still spinning.. windows icue  didn't detect the lightning node connected this time either but still detected the commander pro

So what I did to power the lcd and fans back on was to boot back up into windows, and shut down ( so that it could get into that "stand-by" mode.. THEN start up the computer again to get things in working order

is this a mobo issue? power issue? or? please advise

-----I have both 8-pin EPS connectors plugged in, and the 24 pin .. my monitors r running both 240hz and 144hz

Bios 0607

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor 
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT KRAKEN Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME EATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
  • Storage: OCZ Agility 3 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
  • Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
  • Storage: Hitachi Deskstar NAS 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING Video Card  
  • Case: Lian Li O11D XL-X ATX Full Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit 
  • Case Accessory: Corsair Commander Pro + Lightning Node
  • Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  
  • Monitor: Acer Predator XB2 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 
  • Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120 W 2.1 Channel Speakers

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The power supply issue is certainly unusual. The EVGA Supernova's are generally very good units, and it's a single rail 12V power supply. We'd have to assume it's just defective.

Regarding the powering off issue, this is a hibernate issue based on the sound of it. Remember, with Windows 10 shutdown is a deep sleep state really. Disable your hibernate or fast startup. Disabling hibernate disable fast startup, as that's the feature it's using. See if this eliminates the issue for you. You can do so via Power Options or via elevated command line.

powercfg -h off

• TSMikeW said:
    The power supply issue is certainly unusual. The EVGA Supernova's are generally very good units, and it's a single rail 12V power supply. We'd have to assume it's just defective.

Regarding the powering off issue, this is a hibernate issue based on the sound of it. Remember, with Windows 10 shutdown is a deep sleep state really. Disable your hibernate or fast startup. Disabling hibernate disable fast startup, as that's the feature it's using. See if this eliminates the issue for you. You can do so via Power Options or via elevated command line.

powercfg -h off

yep, i've already done that unfortunately..
    starting to wonder if 1000w just doesn't cut it or if it's just a bad bios setting
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    System should run on much less than 1000W. And if that's the issue, you're more likely to encounter crashes or freezing at load, than these random issues your mentioning that sound like hibernate or maybe selective suspend issues. You could try that if the issues detecting the RGB controller persist.

Through all of this and when failing to POST with the thunderbolt connected, what QCodes are you seeing?
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99