First time building PC, feedback on my selections needed!

Options
Hello everyone, I decided to build my own PC as I need it to be able to run various items. My budget is around $1,500 with a range of $200 give or take. Here is a rough list of items I use frequently:
  • Playing video games (Minecraft, GTA V, Civ 6, Cities Skylines, etc.)
  • Graphic design (primarily GIMP), potential future video editing 
  • Streaming (Twitch)
  • Business applications (Excel, Word, accounting programs, Adobe programs, etc.) 
I plan on streaming and playing video games at the same time. For all other uses listed, all of those would respectively be ran few at a time (I won't use Word while playing games and streaming) so I do not expect the computer to be heavily centered on those. The following is the list of parts I selected, although I am unsure if I am doing an overkill or this is sufficient to run what I need. I do want to have the infrastructure in place for potential larger uses in the future such as upgrading, so I do not mind if some areas exceed my needs.

PC Build Components:

CPU: (1) Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 3.8GHz Eight-Core LGA 1200 Boxed Processor ($349.99 EACH)
Motherboard: (1) ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix Gaming Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard ($299.99 EACH)
RAM: (1) Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMK16GX4M2D3200 - Black ($74.99 EACH)
Case: (1) Lian Li Lancool II Tempered Glass eATX Full Tower Computer Case - Black ($89.99 EACH)
Power Supply: (1) Corsair RM850 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply ($159.99 EACH)
Video Card: (1) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card ($239.99 EACH)
2.5" SSD: (1) Inland Professional 1TB SSD 3D NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive ($92.99 EACH)
M.2 SSD: (1) Inland Professional 1TB 3D QLC NAND PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD ($89.99 EACH)
Hard Drive: (1) Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 EACH)
Optical Drive: (1) LG GH24NSC0B 24x Internal DVD Rewritable SATA Drive ($16.99 EACH)
Video Capture: (1) Elgato Game Capture HD60 PRO PCI-Express Card ($199.99 EACH)

I would really appreciate any help with this, recommendations or if you believe some parts make little sense in relation to others. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Overall the build looks pretty solid, although I would say if you're primarily gaming, I'd recommend jumping down to the i5-10600k or a Ryzen 7 3700X and upgrading your GPU. The 10600k is the same in gaming as the 10700k, or extremely close for quite a bit less. It's probably the best all around "gaming" CPU right now. The 3700X isn't as good in gaming as the 10700k or 10600k, but it's an 8 core part unlike the 10600k so in applications that can utilize those extra cores it will beat the 10600k and perform similarly to the 10700k. While games in the future will probably reach a point where they can take advantage of the two extra cores the 10700k offers, we're not there yet and I think it'll take at least a couple years or more before we reach a point where games are scaling well with 8 cores, something else to consider.

Jumping down to the 10600k/3700X would allow you to jump up to something like an RTX 2060 for your video card which would be a nice improvement over a 1660 Super. Most modern CPUs, even budget ones, are quite capable when it comes to gaming and won't be bottlenecks for anything except the high-end cards, so any budget you can apply to upgrading the GPU is well-spent in my opinion. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99