I need help with parts to build a pc.

Rubikscube
edited July 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
Hello. I want to build a pc but I know little to zero about it. I want to build a pc (that has RGB) for gaming but also for my school work. My budget is around the $1150 mark (Give or take $100). I am thinking of getting a dual monitor set up. The games I will be playing will be Minecraft, Persona4g, Asphalt 8, and Subnautica. I made a list of the part that I think will be good but as I said, I have no idea if it will work. I tried my best to research what parts are good or not, here it is. https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=1d75c463-9468-46a0-83a0-21bb30248547 
I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with this build. If you need to know any more information please let me know. Thank you

Comments

• Hi, You need a Video Card
  • Shinahane said:
    Hi, You need a Video Card
    Wow. I actually missed putting a graphics card. Thank you. Do you know what video card would be good?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Shinahane said:
    Wow. I actually missed putting a graphics card. Thank you. Do you know what video card would be good?
    That depends a little bit. Obviously we'll have to rearrange some parts, but the question is more: where do you want to save that cost?

Are you REALLY set on that motherboard and case, or are you okay with something cheaper? I know you said you want RGB, but there's a premium that comes with along with that and if you're willing to sacrifice RGB, we can save some money. 

Do you absolutely need 32GB of RAM? 16GB is more than enough for gaming and most normal everyday use, but depending on what types of classes you're taking the programs you need to use might like more RAM. What about the 3700X? Do you know you'll be doing things that require all those cores and threads? If not, you can easily switch to a Ryzen 5 3600. 

This would be how I rework the build, at least to start off with:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=87b05630-a17a-458a-a8de-101c13a4d197

Main difference is the motherboard and RAM. We switched to a cheaper board (that still has some RGB) and dropped to 16GB of RAM and added in an EVGA RTX 2060 KO for the video card. We also drop the aftermarket CPU cooler, as the Wraith Prism that comes with the 3700X already has RGB. 
  • Rubikscube
    edited July 2020
    TSTonyV said:
    Shinahane said:
    That depends a little bit. Obviously we'll have to rearrange some parts, but the question is more: where do you want to save that cost?

Are you REALLY set on that motherboard and case, or are you okay with something cheaper? I know you said you want RGB, but there's a premium that comes with along with that and if you're willing to sacrifice RGB, we can save some money. 

Do you absolutely need 32GB of RAM? 16GB is more than enough for gaming and most normal everyday use, but depending on what types of classes you're taking the programs you need to use might like more RAM. What about the 3700X? Do you know you'll be doing things that require all those cores and threads? If not, you can easily switch to a Ryzen 5 3600. 

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=87b05630-a17a-458a-a8de-101c13a4d197

Main difference is the motherboard and RAM. We switched to a cheaper board (that still has some RGB) and dropped to 16GB of RAM and added in an EVGA RTX 2060 KO for the video card. We also drop the aftermarket CPU cooler, as the Wraith Prism that comes with the 3700X already has RGB. 
    Hello. Thank you. I now have a couple of comments/questions.

1. Would switching the ryzen 7 3700x to the 5 3600x not affect the build much? If not, then I could save money switching as you said.
    2. Can I use the THERMALTAKE cooler(because of the RGB) instead of the stock cooler, if I can, do I need to buy a thermal compound, or does it come pre-applied?
    3. Can the parts you choose, support 2 1080p monitors? 

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    TSTonyV said:
    Shinahane said:

Hello. Thank you. I now have a couple of comments/questions.

1. Would switching the ryzen 7 3700x to the 5 3600x not affect the build much? If not, then I could save money switching as you said.
    2. Can I use the THERMALTAKE cooler(because of the RGB) instead of the stock cooler, if I can, do I need to buy a thermal compound, or does it come pre-applied?
    3. Can the parts you choose, support 2 1080p monitors? 

For gaming performance, no, switching to a 3600X wouldn't really affect the build at all. The 3700X and 3600X are almost identical in gaming. If you do other stuff that's multi-threaded reliant like 3D rendering and video editing then the 3700X would definitely be better, but otherwise it's not going to make noticeable difference. 

If you do switch to the 3600X, yes, you can use that thermaltake cooler if you want RGB. The Wraith Spire that comes with the 3600X might have RGB, but I'm not 100% certain about that. 

Yes, you can easily use two 1080p monitors with the parts in the build I listed. 
  • Cool. Thank you. Sorry if I am bothering you but I have 2 more concerns. 
    I heard the term of bios and that on some motherboards, you need to update them. Will, I need to do that?
    And, is it better to buy windows or just to download it from the Microsoft website and use a USB drive.

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    A BIOS update would not be necessary on the B550 or X570 motherboards, they're compatible with the third generation Ryzen processors out of box. Most of the 400-series boards are shipping with a compatible BIOS as well at this point. 

"Better" is relative. If you download the Media Creation Tool and make your own flashdrive, you can install it, however you will not have a license. If you're okay with using it unlicensed, there's nothing really wrong with that, but won't have access to some features in Windows 10. Mostly personalization stuff.  And you'll have a watermark on the bottom-right corner of the screen that could get annoying. Otherwise you'll still be able to download programs, get on the internet, etc...
  • TSTonyV said:
    A BIOS update would not be necessary on the B550 or X570 motherboards, they're compatible with the third generation Ryzen processors out of box. Most of the 400-series boards are shipping with a compatible BIOS as well at this point. 

"Better" is relative. If you download the Media Creation Tool and make your own flashdrive, you can install it, however you will not have a license. If you're okay with using it unlicensed, there's nothing really wrong with that, but won't have access to some features in Windows 10. Mostly personalization stuff.  And you'll have a watermark on the bottom-right corner of the screen that could get annoying. Otherwise you'll still be able to download programs, get on the internet, etc...
    Can you buy the licensed version later on?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. You can use Windows 10 unlicensed and purchase a license at a later date when you're ready. 
  • Rubikscube
    edited July 2020
    TSTonyV said:
    Yes. You can use Windows 10 unlicensed and purchase a license at a later date when you're ready. 

Ok. Well, thank you so much for your help. I am satisfied with the build. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course! Let us know if you have any other questions. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99