Opinions on development machine

I need a new development machine.  I do node, containers, vms.  Don't game but care about decent video performance and multiple monitors (not 4k). Budget is $2K or less. Require Intel build. What is your opinion of this build? 
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=2876dfc7-054d-49a8-bfe3-a6534b3d1ab2
Thanks!

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    That's a pretty solid build all around. Is there anything you're doing that can specifically take advantage of graphics acceleration? If you don't really need graphics power except to drive a couple of monitors, honestly you could drop down to a 1650 Super and still be fine. 

I'd also say that the motherboard is pretty expensive. You don't NEED to spend $400 on a motherboard, unless there's a certain set of features on it you're targeting that you can't find on the cheaper boards. But that's ultimately up to preference. 
  • Yeah you are right, I think the 1650 would be fine.  On the motherboard, the main thing i wanted was the Z490 chip set and as many m2 slots as I could get (future expansion) - it has 3.  It also claims to be PCIe gen4 ready which seems like a good thing considering how long I typically use a pc (the last one I built 4 years ago).  The wireless I could do without.  I also don't need raid.  Is there a cheaper, quality motherboard you recommend that is "future proof" with a lot of m2 slots? Thanks a lot for your help!
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    kshartman said:
    Yeah you are right, I think the 1650 would be fine.  On the motherboard, the main thing i wanted was the Z490 chip set and as many m2 slots as I could get (future expansion) - it has 3.  It also claims to be PCIe gen4 ready which seems like a good thing considering how long I typically use a pc (the last one I built 4 years ago).  The wireless I could do without.  I also don't need raid.  Is there a cheaper, quality motherboard you recommend that is "future proof" with a lot of m2 slots? Thanks a lot for your help!
    For the cheapest Z490 motherboard that supports 3 M.2 slots, you'd likely be looking at the Gigabyte Z490 UD4. Unfortunately we don't carry it, but we do carry a board with just as many M.2 slots whilst still offering a much lower price than the MSI offering: https://www.microcenter.com/product/623874/gigabyte-z490-aorus-elite-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard. Since you don't need high end GPU's, you can even consider populating those PCIe slots with M.2 add-in cards: https://www.microcenter.com/product/612048/micro-connectors-m2-nvme--m2-sata-80mm-ssd-pcie-x4-adapter-with-heat-sink-model-pcie-m20802hs. These are inexpensive, and can even be slotted into x16 slots if you have no intention to use them. 

Just keep in mind, the future is always fleeting, and no matter what, obsoletion will catch up. Your decision to invest in a solid platform will definitely buy you a lot of time before your next upgrade, but we will sadly never be "future proof" with our builds. I wish you the best of luck with your component selection, looks good so far.
  • kshartman
    kshartman
    First Comment
    edited August 2020
    Thanks! I like the aorus elite.  My current motherboard is a gigabyte.  I swapped out the motherboard and the graphics card and now the build is under 1500 bucks.  My understanding is that you will build these.  How do I get that done?
    New Build: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=e38683c2-4cec-4bbf-8111-6e3e1704dff6
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Basically you just come to the store, purchase your parts, then leave them with the service desk for assembly. You'll pay the build fee up front and then come back to the store later to pick up the system once it's done. Depending on how busy the service desk is and what time you come to the store we may be able to assemble it same day, but that's not always possible. They'll let you know what kind of turnaround time to expect when you come in. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99