Need Help Choosing Parts

I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice. I'm looking to use it mostly for modded Minecraft and some server hosting. I plan to upgrade the graphics card in the fall when the RTX 30 series comes out. 

A friend told me that the ryzen 3800x is overkill, but I know that Minecraft is basically all processing, so I'm looking for opinions on that.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=a8bb03ef-458c-4cdc-bd33-055e73034375

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Whether it's overkill or not is going to depend on how big your server is, how many players you have and what kinds of things you're making on the server. As the world expands and more players are active on the map, your CPU and RAM requirements will start to go up. This is especially true if you plan on including lots of mods in the game. Running it off the SSD will also be helpful. If the server gets big and complex enough, it's possible that the 3800X would be appropriate, but I'm pretty sure that would require a MASSIVE server.  Of course, this also depends on what else you're doing on the system at the same time. If you're running the server while playing other games and running other applications, you might benefit from having that extra CPU overhead.

That said, one thing I'll point out is there's not really any reason to get the 3800X over the 3700X. The 3800X is maybe 1-2% faster in the best case scenario which you would never actually notice. You can save $30-40 and not lose anything if you jump down to the 3700X. You could take that money and apply it to a nicer 80+ gold certified power supply instead. 

I also noticed on your build you chose the 32-bit version of Windows 10. Make sure you choose the 64-bit version so you can take full advantage of the hardware in your build. 

• Thanks for your input! I also didn't realize I had the 32 bit - lol TSTonyV said:
    Whether it's overkill or not is going to depend on how big your server is, how many players you have and what kinds of things you're making on the server. As the world expands and more players are active on the map, your CPU and RAM requirements will start to go up. This is especially true if you plan on including lots of mods in the game. Running it off the SSD will also be helpful. If the server gets big and complex enough, it's possible that the 3800X would be appropriate, but I'm pretty sure that would require a MASSIVE server.  Of course, this also depends on what else you're doing on the system at the same time. If you're running the server while playing other games and running other applications, you might benefit from having that extra CPU overhead.

That said, one thing I'll point out is there's not really any reason to get the 3800X over the 3700X. The 3800X is maybe 1-2% faster in the best case scenario which you would never actually notice. You can save $30-40 and not lose anything if you jump down to the 3700X. You could take that money and apply it to a nicer 80+ gold certified power supply instead. 

I also noticed on your build you chose the 32-bit version of Windows 10. Make sure you choose the 64-bit version so you can take full advantage of the hardware in your build. 

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Always happy to help! Let us know if you have any other questions. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99