Bought A ASUS ROG 5700xt

Scottyg420
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
It melted my powersupply 8pin connections and most likely fried the whole thing, the card I was sold was a first batch without the ASUS repair being done to make the card stable enough to get to the driver issues. 

I didn’t get the PSU from microcenter. Am I shit out of luck or is there something you can do since I was sold a product with an active RMA/Repair notification that wasn’t done to the card

Comments

• It melted my powersupply 8pin connections and most likely fried the whole thing, the card I was sold was a first batch without the ASUS repair being done to make the card stable enough to get to the driver issues. 

I didn’t get the PSU from microcenter. Am I shit out of luck or is there something you can do since I was sold a product with an active RMA/Repair notification that wasn’t done to the card
    I would first advise speaking with a member of the management team in-store to see what options are available to you as they would likely need to look further into this matter to better understand the situation. You mentioned an open RMA/repair notification, however I cannot find any mention of this online through ASUS. Was this information received in an email, or do you have any information that we can read to better understand the issue with these cards?
  • https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/notice-thermal-performance-and-cooler-mounting-pressure-for-rog-strix-radeon-rx-5700-series-graphics-cards/

A Customer service emailed me a one sentence reply, and 3 links to buy a new PSU lol. I went by and the card is back on the shelf. 7 yellow price stickers on it when I got it. Wonder how many people will get screwed by this card. 
  • https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/notice-thermal-performance-and-cooler-mounting-pressure-for-rog-strix-radeon-rx-5700-series-graphics-cards/

A Customer service emailed me a one sentence reply, and 3 links to buy a new PSU lol. I went by and the card is back on the shelf. 7 yellow price stickers on it when I got it. Wonder how many people will get screwed by this card. 
    Looking over that issue, there shouldn't be anything that would cause a PSU to fry. From what was posted, that issue will cause higher thermals due to reduced mounting pressure between the heatsink and GPU die, which would cause higher thermals on the die itself and as a result, thermal throttling. Even if a GPU heatsink is not attached, it should not cause any issues at the PCIe power connectors, or subsequent PSU connection to the GPU. Melting PSU cables/connectors is typically a result of too much current being pulled through them or incorrect pinout of the PSU cable connector/wrong cable plugged in (8 pin EPS vs 8 pin PCIe). Checking the serial of the card, it was manufactured in March of 2020, which should have been free of this manufacturing defect according to the article linked.

If the card is indeed back on the shelf, it would've had to pass extensive testing to make sure it functions to normal specifications. This would include making sure a driver is loaded and that the card can handle sustained stress under a 3D load. To be safe, I'll forward this over to your local Micro Centers management team and have them double check the card as it's always worth making sure nothing slips through the cracks. In the meantime, I would recommend awaiting a response from a manager of the store in regards to your PSU and what options you may have with us. You can also check with the manufacturer of the PSU as it's possible you can RMA the PSU through them for a replacement if the unit itself is at fault.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99