New Razer Blade 15 is Hot!

I love the computer except for the temperature. When I play a game on it, the thing reaches insane temperatures. I don't want my parts to be damaged from heat (it gets to around 100 degrees when gaming) or my lap to catch on fire. I have used it both on my lap pad as well as over a Targus cooling pad (AWE61) and it heats up regardless.
I've read online what various people have done, from Throttlestop, to getting a better fan pad (with 5 fans instead of the two I have on mine), to simply getting a stand to prop it up and allow better airflow. Please give me your solutions, thanks!

Comments

• Hello @Dulfite

Unfortunately, this is just how gaming laptops are, especially the more expensive ones.  You are putting in very good and strong parts inside a very small space.  There are some solutions that other manufacturers are exploring when it comes to cooling gaming laptops however current prototypes are a bit off.  

My current favorite solution to this is the new ASUS ProArt and ASUS Mothership (not released).  The ProArt is a studio laptop however it is based off the Mothership.  The concept is that all the hardware and cooling are on the lid so that it is facing the air and not facing the desk.  

My recommendations for mitigating heat from the laptop
    1.) Lower the ambient temperature in the room if possible
    2.) Use a stand or cooling pad to allow a lot of extra space for air intake from the bottom of the laptop
    3.) Underclocking the processor/GPU.  This will lower performance but will also lower the heat
    4.) Avoid using it on your lap  
  • Dulfite
    Dulfite
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Dulfite

Unfortunately, this is just how gaming laptops are, especially the more expensive ones.  You are putting in very good and strong parts inside a very small space.  There are some solutions that other manufacturers are exploring when it comes to cooling gaming laptops however current prototypes are a bit off.  

My current favorite solution to this is the new ASUS ProArt and ASUS Mothership (not released).  The ProArt is a studio laptop however it is based off the Mothership.  The concept is that all the hardware and cooling are on the lid so that it is facing the air and not facing the desk.  

My recommendations for mitigating heat from the laptop
    1.) Lower the ambient temperature in the room if possible
    2.) Use a stand or cooling pad to allow a lot of extra space for air intake from the bottom of the laptop
    3.) Underclocking the processor/GPU.  This will lower performance but will also lower the heat
    4.) Avoid using it on your lap  
    @TSPhillipT Thanks for the advice! Regarding your points:
    1) Room temperature is generally set at 75, sometimes 73, I'm a married man and can't really get away with anything cooler than that. What is the optimal temperature recommended? Would a ceiling fan directly over me and the laptop more so impact this positively?
    2) As I mentioned, I have a cooling bad and a separate Targus cooling fan that goes under the laptop. When I put the laptop directly on either of those it still runs hot. That fan pad worked wonders on my Acer (which uses a gtx950m), but it isn't helping with this computer. Is there a recommended cooling pad/fan that works best? I tried propping up the computer with something in order to allow more airflow, but that did nothing to resolve the heat when I was playing a game.
    3) How do you do this? With Throttlestop?
    4) I only use it directly on my lap when I'm doing non gaming things, but there is absolutely no heat problem during those times so far.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    I'm pretty sure the 10th gen Intel CPUs should be throttling at 90C so if you're hitting 100 then something is probably wrong. If the cooling pad isn't helping you at all, then there's a few possibilities for why:

The cooling in the computer is just poorly designed
    Something is not working properly/defective
    Your fans for some reason aren't set to their max speeds when under heavy load. 

Are you specifically making sure that your have your fans set to max speed when gaming? They may not automatically go to 100%, some laptops will only go up to something like 70% then you have to press a button or enable a settings to actually get max speeds.

Undervolting your CPU would be done via BIOS and changing the voltage settings, for your GPU you can use MSI Afterburner to do it. I personally haven't undervolted so I can't really offer any advice there.

• Okay so I manually put my fan on 100% when I play games and that has decreased it significantly. With the fan on I don't think it went over 80, let alone near 100. Hopefully this is the fix for any game.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Yep, that sounds about right. A temp decrease like that should drastically reduce thermal throttling and improve performance. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99