Corsair Lighting System Query

I'm planning to get a Corsair H100i Platinum CPU Cooler ( 240mm rad, 2 fans )
But, i have some questions about Corsair's lighting system, specifically; Would i be able to hook every RGB cable into a Corsair RGB LED Fan Hub and just have it work? or do i need something else?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Greetings @Ionmaster987

Specifically on the H100i Platinum RGB it just connects to your board via a USB 2.0 header and you run this via the iCUE software. If you have a lot of Corsair RGB devices they do sell the Corsair Command Pro to manage everything, with the Corsair Node's as expansion options for multiple devices. 
  • Ionmaster987
    edited September 2020
    TSMikeW said:
    Greetings @Ionmaster987

Specifically on the H100i Platinum RGB it just connects to your board via a USB 2.0 header and you run this via the iCUE software. If you have a lot of Corsair RGB devices they do sell the Corsair Command Pro to manage everything, with the Corsair Node's as expansion options for multiple devices. 
    So, i couldn't just.. connect the fans the H100i Platinum comes with to this thing and have it work and be controllable via iCUE?
    Because, i don't have any corsair devices, my case might be corsair but it's so old it doesn't have any controller or anything, so, do i **need** the Commander Pro to be able to have the fans light up? or, will they light up, but not be controllable lighting-wise?
  • @Ionmaster987 with the Corsair H100i coming with that controller you plug it into a Sata connection and then there's a 3 pin you connect to the motherboard and then to that controller. From there your fans plug into the controller and once you boot into windows download the Corsair iCue to then control the RGB colors desired. I'll have to see if I might be able to take some pics of mine that I installed on my other system
  • @Enamelized
    My friend, you're slightly misundestanding.
    the fans it comes with, i don't have the capability of hooking the RGB wires into anything, i was asking: do i need something fancier, or can i just get this basic controller, hook the fans into it, and they'll work just fine, be configurable and stuff?
  • Enamelized
    Enamelized ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    Not misunderstanding at all, as mentioned that controllers used to plug your fans into and through the Corsair iCue software you can in turn control the RGB of said fans
  • So, i don't need a commander pro at all?
  • Hello @Ionmaster987
    I am the biggest Corsair fan here at Micro Center haha. 
    Let me see if I can assist you with this!

The Corsair RGB Fan Hub (the one pictured) will power the RGB For your Corsair RGB Fans.  It will not allow you to control the RGB however, it just defaults them to the default RGB setting on the Fan (Rainbow Cycle usually).  You can however, connect the RGB Fan Hub to either the Lightning Node PRO or the Commander PRO.  These will connect to the RGB Fan HUB and then connect to a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard.  

In short, to make it controllable, you WILL need to connect it to the Lightning Node PRO or Commander PRO.  
  • Ionmaster987
    edited September 2020
    Darn, would i at-least be able to control their speed through the hub? Or no? If so, i might as-well just get a Commander Pro, since it has enough slots to control the fans the AIO comes with. In the future, might want a lighting node pro to be able to have the RGB be seperate for other fans..
    So, now a question:
    do you think that AIO can fit inside a Carbide Series Spec01? 
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/529832591134556162/752558364168552489/unknown.png
    This is my case, it looks like it'll fit at the top if the tank is towards the front..
    Wait hang on, i just looked, apparently the one i've been talking about is the iCUE H100I RGB PRO XT Liquid Cooler, the Platinum's a bit too expensive, but it appears it doesn't even have rgb fans, so i might not even need a commander..
    What's the difference between the iCUE H100I RGB PRO XT Liquid Cooler and the Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    The fan speed is controllable by your motherboard/monitoring software, based on your CPU temperature. You do NOT need the Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro to change the actual fan speeds.

The difference between the two coolers is that the H100i RGB PRO XT does not have RGB fans, while the H100i platinum does. Both of them have RGB on the pump. 

Based on Cosair's spec sheet for your case it can only support a 120mm radiator, not a 240mm. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    The fan speed is controllable by your motherboard/monitoring software, based on your CPU temperature. You do NOT need the Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro to change the actual fan speeds.

The difference between the two coolers is that the H100i RGB PRO XT does not have RGB fans, while the H100i platinum does. Both of them have RGB on the pump. 

Based on Cosair's spec sheet for your case it can only support a 120mm radiator, not a 240mm. 
    You sure a 240mm won't fit? the top, if the back fan was removed, could probably fit it in..
    If not, I'm not really sure what to do, i've been wanting an AIO just because it'd be quieter and better looking that i haven't given any thought to what i'd do if i couldn't even put it in.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    I'm going based on Corsair's spec sheet on their website. 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Carbide-Series™-SPEC-01-Red-LED-Mid-Tower-Gaming-Case/p/CC-9011050-WW#tab-tech-specs

Even if it looks like there's room, the question is what the clearances are. The problem with the Spec-01 is that if you install a top-mounted radiator and fans they will come down far enough that they'll cover the tops of the RAM slots as well as the 8-pin CPU power on the top-left corner, and any other things like fan headers across the top. If your RAM or anything else plugged in across the top is too tall, you won't be able to properly install the cooler. 
  • So, then i'd need a new case..
    Well, thank you for confirming this, i will not be buying an AIO liquid cooler because apparently it won't fit.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99