Need help with parts

Options
FallenGremory
FallenGremory ✭✭
First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
I'm building my first computer and I was wondering if this list is a good build? Is there anything I should replace or anything? 

Geforce rtx 3080
----------------------------
750 w power supply
-----------------------------------
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Corsair RM Series 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
------------------------------------------------------------------
LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH PEROFRMANCE BLACK Tempered Glass ATX Case

Comments

• Enamelized
    Options
    Hi @FallenGremory would love to take a look to help but you didn't insert your parts list in your posting
  • FallenGremory
    Options
    @Enamelized my bad. I edited the post with the parts
  • Enamelized
    Options
    No worries at all it happens lol
     As for the list you've got going on there it's not bad at all. I don't see that you listed any RAM for the build. The one thing I might mention regarding that is the MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard will support DDR4 RAM up to 3000 so if looking to go with a 3200/3600 it wouldn't be compatible.

What are you planning on doing with the build?

• FallenGremory
    Options
    @Enamelized gaming mostly. My dad wants to start a youtube channel for his brewing so I'll probably end up doing some editing too. But yes mostly gaming, I want to get a little bit into VR eventually. But right now I just want to build a PC for cyberpunk. 
    Also this was the DDR I was looking at but I get something else. I'm a noob when it coming to building PCs pcpartpicker says all these are compatible I just don't know if (most)of the parts I'm looking at are actually decent or not

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

• FallenGremory
    FallenGremory ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Enamelized I'm also kinda thinking about maybe switching to a x570 motherboard now instead of a b550. Unless there is a better motherboard to buy. But I'm hoping to stay around the $200 range
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    No worries at all it happens lol
     As for the list you've got going on there it's not bad at all. I don't see that you listed any RAM for the build. The one thing I might mention regarding that is the MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard will support DDR4 RAM up to 3000 so if looking to go with a 3200/3600 it wouldn't be compatible.

What are you planning on doing with the build?

@Enamelized gaming mostly. My dad wants to start a youtube channel for his brewing so I'll probably end up doing some editing too. But yes mostly gaming, I want to get a little bit into VR eventually. But right now I just want to build a PC for cyberpunk. 
    Also this was the DDR I was looking at but I get something else. I'm a noob when it coming to building PCs pcpartpicker says all these are compatible I just don't know if (most)of the parts I'm looking at are actually decent or not

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

So I gotta jump in and make a correction here. That board can support higher memory speeds than 3000, you simply have to enable the XMP/DOCP profile to do so and technically you're "overclocking" at that point. I would still 100% recommend DDR4-3600 if you're going with a third generation Ryzen CPU since that's the sweetspot for performance. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Specification

That should be true for basically any B450/B550/X570 motherboard besides that one. 

As for your build, the parts list looks solid, although if you're specifically targeting gaming you may want to look at the Intel i5-10600k at that price point. The 3700X is a great CPU but it is beat by the 10600k in gaming scenarios. Of course if you're in other situations outside that that are better at utilizing the extra two cores the 3700X has over the 10600k then the 3700X will be better. Video editing and rendering can fall into that category. 

• FallenGremory
    Options
    @TSTonyV yea it won't be just for gaming but that will be what I use it for at least 9% of the time. I'd like to stick with amd. I could probably go for the 3800 if that would be better, also is there a better motherboard you'd recommend? There's been a few msi or asus ones I've kinda been looking at
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's no reason to get the 3800X over the 3700X. You might see a 1-2% increase at most and that would never be noticeable in practice, just save the extra money instead. 

The B550 you chose is a solid option, if you'd like a long breakdown of good B550 boards to look at I'd recommend watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihg6XQiqW7A

It covers a wide range of B550 boards in various form factors/price points. 
  • FallenGremory
    FallenGremory ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @TSTonyVwell now I'm kinda looking at the aorus pro... Lol

Also how's this for memory?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That should be fine, although you could probably get a kit of DDR4-3600 CL16 for the same price. It's a minor difference, but CL16 is slightly better latency vs CL18. 
  • FallenGremory
    FallenGremory ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Did you mean a 4 pack or a 2 pack? The memory I listed says 60 on amazon, a 4 pack of the same exact thing but 16 says $320, a 2 pack is about $60. Which doesn't really make much sense... Lol
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    For the same amount. A 2x8GB kit of DDR4-3600 CL18 and a 2x8GB kit of DDR4-3600 CL16 should be fairly similar in price. Normally the CL16 will be a little more expensive but depending on which kits you find/deals available you can find them for the same or a cheaper price, e.g.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626787/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-cl18-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-cmk16gx4m2d3600---black

and 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/612970/gskill-ripjaws-v-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc---black

It's not THAT big of a difference, this is a super minor nitpick so I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but it never hurts to have that teeny little bit of extra. 
  • FallenGremory
    Options
    I don't live anywhere near a micro center... Lol so amazon is the next best thing. They are both about 60, I might be ready to start buying parts. The case might cost more then I was hoping but I hear its a pretty good case
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lancool II Mesh should be about $90, and we do have that one available for shipping. 
  • FallenGremory
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    Lancool II Mesh should be about $90, and we do have that one available for shipping. 
    I wonder why pcpartpicker doesn't list this site as one of the selling spots
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beats me! If you're ever not sure about something being available for shipping or not on our website, click on the product page and look over to the right where you can add it to your cart. If it doesn't say "in-store only" then you can order it for shipping. 
  • FallenGremory
    Options
    Thanks. Sadly it looks like the case is the only thing I can get from this site. But you did save me about $100 so thanks for that. Lol 

Also do you know if this site ships through usps or ups?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's FedEx actually.
  • FallenGremory
    Options
    Oh ok. That works too. Then it will come to the door, so that's good. The case come put together Right? Or will I need to assemble it?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the case itself would be assembled. 
  • FallenGremory
    Options
    So it looks likes this might be my build... How's it looks?

Geforce rtx 3080
    ----------------------------
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
    -----------------------------------
    Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Evga supernova 750 ga
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH rgb
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks good to me! No complaints about anything really. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99